Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rescuing a Crabapple Tree

Posted by jas4141 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 8:43

The bark on the main trunk of my perfect purple crabapple tree has been rubbed raw in several places by deer. What are the chances of it surviving? Should I wrap it with something or just leave it bare? Right now, I've added a couple of those white loose plastic guards found at many nurseries. Would appreciate any advice because I don't want to lose it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rescuing a Crabapple Tree

Impossible to tell if it will survive with info provided. Pix are needed. No need for wound paint or wrapping, but protecting against further damage is OK.

o

need pix ...

it will heal itself.. presuming there is enough intact bark for water/nutrient transfers up and down the tree ... i cant recall the percentage off hand ...

but what might be OK out back.. you might not enjoy out the front door.. and that is always a variable that is important in regard to the impression you make out the front door ...

pix please .....

ken

o

Tree damage photos.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Crabapple Tree Damage

o

If fortune makes the weather nice for the next several years and no more deer damage, I'll guess it has a 47% chance of survival.

o

The danger comes when the bark is removed entirely from the trunk circumference or girdled. The removal of vertical strips is not much of a concern other than visual :-) You might want to think about gently crimping a length of chicken wire around the vulnerable trunks when the bucks are out rubbing their antlers. It works great as a protective barrier yet still allows the tree to breath and moisture not accumulate.

o

Thanks for the input. I'm optimistic. No sign of leaf buds yet which worries me some but may just be too early. Chicken wire a good idea, gardengal I added the white shields after the fact because I just noticed the damage a few weeks ago.

o

Dittos on the rusty old chicken wire (or heavier stuff). They won't come near it. Even if you just have the wire on one season, they may never come back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here