Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arktrees

What are your favorite trees?

arktrees
12 years ago

The though happened to cross my mind that it might be beneficial for those that come to this site looking for tree ideals, if we list our most favored trees. It can be a specific cultivar (i.e. Ogon Dawns Redwood) or rather generic (i.e. Flowering Dogwoods). Since it seems rather pointless for most people here to keep this to a "top 5", something I would have a hard time doing, how about we keep it to a max of 10. You may, or may not state reason's for your choices. However please do name the one tree (ignore soil/space requirements) you would plant, if you could plant ONLY ONE. I will post my list later, after I have worked it out. ;-)

Arktrees

Comments (43)

• lcadem
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hei arktrees, here is my list

1. cedrus libani
    2. cedrus atlantica glauca
    3. zelkova carpinifolia
    4. persimmon kaki
    5. ulmus americana
    6. platanus acerifolia
    7. quercus macrocarpa
    8. albizia caribea (an unbelievable tree at the botanical garden of the island of dominica)
    9. fagus sylvatica asplenifolia
    10. zelkova serrata

honorable mention
    1. cedrus deodara
    2. quercus coccinea
    3. fig tree
    4. sophora japonica
    5. samanea (another incredibly beautiful tree in Dominica)
    6. cornus kousa
    7. japanese cherry
    8. sequoiadendrum giganteum
    9. american beech
    10. castanea sativa

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

My choices are based on each species growing in the species ideal conditions.

All Around Deciduous - Quercus alba

Potentially huge, attractive form and foliage, strong wooded, and nice fall color on some trees.

Fall color - Acer saccharum

The best and brightest for the full spectrum of fall color.

Flowering - Catalpa speciosa and Cornus florida

50' covered in white in the middle of a yard is hard to beat but some of the dogwood cultivars are jaw dropping.

Symmetry - Tilia cordata and Taxodium distichum

Mirror symmetry at its best.

Broadleaf Evergreen - Quercus virginiana (with moss)

So picturesque it is almost cliche.

Conifer - Sequoia sempervirens

How can I not pick the tallest tree in the US.

#1 if I could plant anything -

Eucalyptus deglupta

No words necessary...

{{gwi:333445}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Image credit to Divine Caroline by Vickit Santillano

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

I'm thinking of turning my yard into a redwood grove. Something to leave behind, that future users of the site might keep at least partly intact.

There's already one next door that is probably over 60' tall. It seeds into my back yard.

• Tim
    12 years ago

I will use the common names, and these are in no particular order.

Bald Cypress
    Chinkapin Oak
    Bur Oak
    Fire Dragon Shantung Maple
    Keith Davey Chinese Pistache
    Firehouse Sugar Maple
    Tulip Poplar
    October Glory Red Maple
    Red Sunset Maple

• drrich2
    12 years ago

Hard one. Well, let's try this.

1.) Red Maple - medium-large tree, beautiful canopy, fast-growing, readily available, faster-growing than a sugar maple, said to be broadly adaptable. But also said to be thin-barked so somewhat susceptible to trunk injury while young, leaves can be poisonous to horses at least part of the year, the shallow fibrous root system can be trouble for septic tanks & leach fields. And Ken would point out if you garden under a tree, maples are hard to do this with (I don't, though). Stronger wooded than a silver maple.

2.) Sugar Maple - majestic mature adults with nice form, beautiful fall color, and very nice to see. I get the impression from reading they're not as broadly adaptable or as fast growing as red maple; they do get larger.

3.) Red Oak (& related, such as Shumard Oak) - fairly fast growing, long-lived, strong wood, attractive trees, faster growing than white oak, produce acorns for wild life. At least some (e.g.: Shumard Oak) hold onto their dead leaves over much of winter, which I happen to like since the tree still has some 'body' instead of that skeletal winter look). What I think are a pair of Pin Oaks are on our property; they hold their leaves during winter, & can get very large, but have a rep. for being prone to iron chlorosis, for persistently trying to grow limbs angling down low toward the ground, and for being over-planted, so despite fast growth I wouldn't recommend Pin Oak readily.

3.) White Oak - Quercus alba - impressively huge, can be beautiful, acorn-producing, fall color can be nice & better than the related burr oak. Strong wood. But slower growing, said to be more difficult to transplant (tap root often mentioned), can run into trouble with compacted soil. I get the impression this is the tree you wish your grandparents planted in your yard so you could enjoy the massive, long-lived giant today.

4.) Red Japanese Maple (e.g.: Bloodgood, Emperor I) - nice medium-size, beautiful trees that in essence give us fall color all summer long. Fairly hardy.

5.) Paperbark Maple - medium-size, peeling bark, seem very popular on the forum but not common so distinctive, can be a bit pricy but not bad. I've got 2 small ones in the yard now, and hope to see large size over time. Soil is sometimes saturated for days, though, and wondering how the littlest is going to do.

6.) Ginkgo - very long-lived, tough, disease-resistance, fall color is a striking yellow, and large specimens can have nice form. Neat, unique leaves. All that said, can take a couple of years to really grow after transplant and maybe a moderate grower even then, looks like a malformed hat rack until pretty large, and if you get a female tree that fruit is going to stink.

7.) Redbud - yeah, they're said to be fairly short-lived, but they make a nice, small to medium bush/tree, are really beautiful in the spring, and some have a nice multi-trunk form reminiscent of some Japanese maples I've seen.

8.) Yellow Poplar a.k.a. Tulip Tree/Poplar (which isn't a Poplar) - said to be long-lived, fast-growing but evidently stronger/more durable than some fast-growing trees, leaves are rather neat, and the canopy on those I see (not huge & mature) is a bit more pyramidal than the rounded canopy I see on sugar maples). It's my understanding they're not as broadly adaptable as red maple, for example, though - not entirely sure about that. The flowers are neat if you know where to look & the tree is small enough some are low enough to see.

9.) Swamp White Oak - my wife & I like the leaves, and the bark on the one we picked out. A tree with some tolerate for often saturated soil that was a good-looking oak was desired. Our tree didn't hold it's leaves over the winter.

10.) Pecan Trees - my grandmother had a couple. I'm not big into eating pecans, and I don't like them in my brownies nor do I like pecan pie. But it is a food-producing tree, including for wildlife, gets quite large and can live (& produce) a long time.

The last big tree I planted for ornamental purposes was probably a swamp white oak. I don't know that's it's my 'favorite.' In an area less prone to saturation for a few days (we live part-way down a hill, so when it's rainy a few days, the drainage keeps us pretty wet), I might've planted a Shumard Oak.

Richard.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

So far, I am fond of this Montezuma cypress that I grew from a seed collected from college campus where I graduated a long time ago. I planted it last year and grew pretty good. Let's see how it does this year. I also have a couple Bald-Montezuma cypress from China. I planted somewhat weepy Bald seedling from Midlothian Cypress last year and I'm really curious to see how it'd turn out this year.

I have so many Shantung maples... Fire Dragon, Orange Dragon, Super Dragon (yellow-lime green leaves), Blaine's, Baby plus a couple regular ones.

I have a seed grown Japanese maple that looks pretty good right now. I also have Seiryu and Tamukeyama.

It's going to be a forest here in 10 years... {{gwi:333446}}From Cypress 2011

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Oh yeah, that Paperbark Maple I planted last winter. Hope that will do well here. Time will tell but I've been wanting to plant one for a while.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Lou, what are you doing with those trees?lol?

Acer griseum is my #1 species tree.

Cornus kousa 'Samzam' is my #1 cultivar.

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Well, I love trees, so if box elder was the only kind of tree, I'd love box elders. But given that's not the case, a big, healthy Norway spruce is about as impressive to me as anything.

+oM

• dutchess12545
    12 years ago

only from trees on my property.......no particular order
    Willow Oak
    Shagbark Hickory
    Zelkova serrata
    Yellowood
    Corylus colurna
    White Oak
    American Persimmon
    Sugar Maple
    Red Oak
    River Birch

• arktrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First, let me thank you all for participating. It's a nice change from our usual topics, and hopefully will continue to draw people in to post (yes luckers, that includes you. ;-)

Since I was the one that started this thread, then it's only fitting I answer my own question before the day is out. I've thought about it off and on all day, and as stated above by others, it wasn't easy. For my list, I have several co-listed. In those cases, I consider them essentially equal and rather interchangeable. For example, I have one Oak, but two species listed. They are very similar in physical traits, however one is better adapted to dry, while the other to wetter environments. So for what it's worth, here is my list in no particular order.

Nyssa sylvatica-Blackgum:
    This is not the most commonly planted tree, but when you see one at peak color, with the very glossy intensely red leaves...... you will wonder if your retina will be able to survive the experience. Not only that, they offer potential food for wildlife (purple dropes), tolerant of rather wet (or closely related species very wet) conditions, and long life. Colors well in warm climates.

Acer saccharum-Sugar Maple/Acer leucoderme-Chalk Maple:
    I list both of these species as the Chalk Maple is basically a smaller version of the Sugar Maple. Both leaves look very similar, though of different size, both are shade tolerant, and both light up with fall color. However the Chalk Maple is more drought tolerant, and more heat tolerant for fall color, but is listed as being cold hardy to USDA Zone 5. We have one planted for a couple years now in full sun with ZERO protection, and it is presently covered with flowers. This after surviving drought (I did water) and a windy 100-110 degree weather last summer in this environment. HIGHLY recommend the Chalk Maple if you do not have room for a Sugar Maple. For Sugar Maples, I love our Commemoration. Consistent lasting intense orange fall color, and a more spreading habit than some other cultivars. Leaves emerge a yellowy green in spring, then darken to one of the darkest greens you have ever seen.

Acer griseum-Paperbark Maple/Acer triflorum-Triflorum or Three flowered Maple:
    Again another case where to me they are fairly interchangeable. Exfoliating bark is better on the Paperbark, but very nice on the Triflorum. I like the earlier leafing of the Triflorum, larger leaflets, overlapping effect of the leaves, the shade of green of the leaves in spring, and orange in the fall. I like the Paperbarks summer leaf color, and red fall color. Both have grown vigorously for me in full sun and watered lawn. If I had to choose between the two, I don't know which I would keep. I love them both.

Quercus coccinea-Scarlet Oak/Quercus texana-Nuttall Oak:
    As indicated above these species are very similar. Both, individual trees can produce exceptional fall color, both grow relatively quickly, both are fairly long lived. However the Scarlet Oak originates from a dry habitat, while the Nuttall originates from a floodplain habitat.

Cornus florida/Cornus kousa-Dogwoods:
    Again, largely interchangeable. Chief differences are flowering time, fruit shape/size, and exfoliating bark for the kousa species. Both have multiple season interest, potential to feed wildlife, and both are readily available.

Malus species-Crabapples:
    There are simply too many species, and most available cultivars are hybrids anyway. Again multiple season interest, potential to feed wildlife, variation in shape/size, and readily available. If you select disease resistant cultivars, then what's there not to like?

Ginkgo biloba:
    As stated above. If you can accept this tree for what it is, and not likely to shade your house in your lifetime, then there has to be strong consideration for a species that dealt with the dinosaurs.

Picea pungens- Colorado Blue Spruce:
    Any of the really really blue cultivars. Beautiful trees, but not one that we have. Don't think it would fair well in our soil, but I can drool over them in others yards.

Cotinus obovatus-American Smoke Tree:
    Rare native plant that if you have a suitable dry location, needs to be in your yard. Unique, is the best way I know to describe it. What does this tree offer. Oh not much really. A very unusual leaf shape, relatively fast growth, extreme heat and drought tolerance (they NEED a dry site), summer leaf color like no other (kind of a glowing pastel aqua blue green), the "smoke" that gives it the name Smoke tree (though not as extensive as the European version), followed with potentially the brightest fall color that must bee seen to believe. These trees can be kept as shrubs if desired.

Cercis reniformis-Oklahoma Redbud: There is disagreement on the classification as to whether this is a distinct species or not. I will treat as a species here for sake of clarity. I love Redbuds. Grew up with a large one next to my house that was covered with bees every year. However, there are a couple of traits that set the Oklahoma Redbud apart. First and foremost, is the flower color. This tree has the most beautiful magenta purple flowers, that literally cover the tree in spring. Must be seen to appreciated fully. After the flowers are gone, then the next trait becomes more visible as you move toward summer. Thick shiny glossy dark green leaves. This glossiness attracts attention throughout the summer, while others trees have settle in for the summer and are mainly just green. Lastly, these trees are very very heat and drought tolerant, thereby little care is needed.

So there you have my top ten. Others strongly considered but I ultimately did not make it as I rant out of room include:
    Ilex decidua
    Acer rubrum Red Maple (there are just too many of these around me)
    Acer palmatium Japanese Maple
    Liriodendon tulipifera Tulip Tree
    Acer japonicum 'Acontifolium'
    Araucaria araucana Monkey Puzzle Tree
    Cladrastis kentukea American Yellowwood
    Catalpa sp. (as John indicated)
    Ulmus sp. Elm trees
    Gymnocladus dioica Kentucky Coffee Tree
    Carya sp. Hickories, Walnut, and Pecan
    Carpinus caroliniana Musclewood
    Chionanthus virginicus American Fringe Tree
    Quercus sp. various other Oaks
    and there are others......

So what would be my one choice........ not sure yet. But either Sugar/Chalk Maple, or Paperbark/Triflorum Maple. Luckily, we have all four of them. :-D

Arktrees

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Only southeastern natives make my list cause those are the only ones that I'm interested in planting.

Native deciduous magnolias - Magnolia macrophylla would probably be the favorite of that group. Big, unusual leaves with gorgeous fragrant flowers. Not a bad winter form either.

Native oaks - probably Quercus alba is the favorite but Quercus coccinea is fast catching up! And lately, Quercus georgiana has caught my eye.

Buckeyes - the small shrub-like forms of Aesculus pavia and Aesculus parviflora are the southeastern ones.

Sassafras - an elusive find but well worth it.

Hickories - so many to discover lately, I'm still trying to figure out what species of Carya might be my "fav".

And hemlock (Tsuga) - currently under attack by the wooly adelgid, I wonder how many will be left to show my grandchildren one day. A beautiful graceful tree that contributes so much to it's natural environment.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

this is like asking me.. which is my favorite child ...

ken

• bengz6westmd
    12 years ago

hortster, your burr oak is splendid. They look vigorous even in dry spells. Mine looks similar, but not quite as big. In your pic you can see the big acorns at branch-ends.

Since I've been looking out my window all winter at them, I'm currently enamored by my Wate's Golden virginia pine & the Table mnt pine behind. The yellow w/a dark green background is a wonderful contrast. On a windy day I can smell the fragrance of the Table mnt pine 30 ft downwind.

arktrees, when I was in Virginia I found some 40' Sugar maple-like trees in the oak mid-story that had unusually smooth, creamy-white bark & very emerald-green leaves. There were no other "regular" S maples nearby at all. Finally I figured out they were Chalk maples! Very handsome.

j0nd03, unfortunately the native Sugar maples here (there are many) don't put on an autumn show -- mostly just yellow-brown w/a hint of dull orange (the best years produce reasonable color). Still, they are handsome, durable trees & are aggressively invading the lower elevations of the oak forests.

drrich2, Swamp white oak does has wonderful foliage -- mine has thick, leathery leaves & a whitish coating of soft felt on the bottoms that persist the whole season.

At times during the year I'll become enamored w/some other species.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    12 years ago

some very interesting responses with lovely trees on their lists. FWIW, this is my roll call of faves based on ONLY on trees growing in the ground here at my place on the oregon coast: eucalyptus scoparia---smooth pale cream bark with evergreen "weeping willow" foliage extremely fast growth. my favorite tree.
    quercus greggii---a fast growing mexican oak with lush evergreen leaves. fast growing (30' in 10 years) with a strong pyramidal shape.
    quercus sartorii---another evergreen mexican oak with foliage kind of like the native q. muhlenbergii.
    quercus tomentella---still another evergreen oak from the channel islands of southern california with lush shiny leaves fast growing just like the other 2.
    pinus patula---mexican weeping pine with finely textured long drooping needles another fast grower.
    araucaria angustifolia---monkey puzzle relative from brazil with seriously spiny branches and trunk, faster growing than standard aruacaria auracana.
    eucryphia x nymansensis "mt. usher"---fast growing evergreen tree with shiny dark green leaves and huge amts. of flowers like single white roses in august and early sept.
    crataegus pubescens (aka c. mexicana)---an evergreen hawthorn with the usual white flowers but large yellow fruit that look like small lemons that hold on to the tree until early spring.
    luma apiculata---a relative of the true myrtle from chile with smooth cinnamon and sugar colored bark (on mature trees),small dark green leaves, masses of white flowers followed by tons of black berry fruits.
    arbutus menziesii (madrone)---a native tree with smooth peeling reddish bark, shiny evergreen leaves kind of like a magnolias, heather like white flowers and reddish fruit.
    i could go on with lots of other favorites but those are the 10 that i love most right now.

• arktrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

George
    I realized after the fact that I had neglected putting Madrone on my list of trees. I have been to your part of the world a couple times. The last time was in the San Juan Islands about 100 miles north of Seattle, and there were Madrone trees everywhere. LOVED THEM. Alas there is absolutely no chance of growing them here.

Arktrees

• georgeinbandonoregon
    12 years ago

Arktrees, madrones are very cool trees with very exacting requirements---even in their native range. many "tidy gardeners" hate madrones because they are seemingly constantly dropping leaves, bark, flowers, and berries on their landscapes. would imagine that the nearest hardy trees that might do well in your climate that at least have similar smooth and pealing bark would be crepe myrtles, stewartias, and sycamore/buttonwood (or maybe the "paper bark" maples(acer tegmentosum, triflorum, griseum). if you wanted to provide periodic protection in cold winters you MIGHT try a dwarf farm of the related species arbutus unedon/"strawberry tree" but it would certainly appreciate either a raised gravel bed (like you might plant desert plants in) or planting on a hill side to provide super drainage. George

• arktrees
    Original Author
    12 years ago

George,
    Thanks for the feedback. I am aware of the "requirements" of Madrone trees. I looked into them a couple years ago out of curiosity. Most of your native plants western coastal areas simply aren't happy with the climate conditions of Northwestern Arkansas. Summers too humid, too wet (most years), temps fluctuate too much during the years, too cold in winter. It is what it is. As for your other suggestions, we have planted 2 griseum (with another seedling in a pot), and 1 triflorum, both species appear very happy. Sycamore's are native and very abundant. Saw one yesterday with about a 4-5' diameter trunk. There are plenty of crepes around, but most people don't seem to try stewartia's, though there is a native species. River birch is also very common. So exfoliating trees are fairly common here.

Anyway, Madrones are just exceptional to me for whatever reason. They can be a favorite tree that just doesn't live here. Much like the Monkey Puzzle Tree, and John's Rainbow Eucalyptus. :-)

Arktrees

• georgeinbandonoregon
    12 years ago

Arktrees, i'd like to have a full sized and thriving rainblow euc but will probably have to reconcile myself to all the neat stuff i am currently growing and all the other plants i might have a reasonable chance growing in the place i am with the climate i have. good luck with your trees---exfoliating bark and otherwise.

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

For me it's some of the local stuff.

Cyrilla
    Gordonia
    Red maple
    Sweetbay magnolia
    Live oak
    American holly
    Tupelo
    Pecan
    Black cherry
    Bald cypress
    Sand pine
    Long leaf pine
    Magnolia grandiflora

I think I would like aspens and bristle cone pines but I've never seen one in person.

• sam_md
    12 years ago

{{gwi:333447}}
    Surely this thread cannot fade away without mentioning Franklinia alatamaha or Franklin Tree. It must have been one of J.J. Audubon's favorites as seen here in his print and a real jewel in the North American garden.

• hogmanay
    12 years ago

Bald Cypress
    Dawn Redwood
    Nanjing Beauty (a hybrid)

positively primordial!

• poaky1
    12 years ago

I've never been out west, so there are alot of trees that won't come to mind, but most oaks are at the top of the list, Quercus Virginiana and Quercus Fusiformis especially, Comptons oak was evergreen on the tree closest to the house this past (mild) winter,so I'm happy I have it where it is. Norway spruce, Magnolia grandifolia, Magnolia Brackens brown beauty, there were tons of them in Florida and they looked nice to me. Podocarpus were blooming (some were, some not) too tender to grow here though. Some palms started to grow on me too. Southern live oak will probably always be my favorite tree, with Texas live oak being my attainable in my yard # 2.

• User
    12 years ago

In no particular order---

Weeping willow
    White birch
    Japanese maple
    Ginkgo biloba
    Canadian hemlock
    Southern magnolia
    Bald cypress
    Dawn redwood
    Atlas Blue Cedar
    Long leaf pine
    Most any oak, deciduous or evergreen
    Araucaria

• calliope
    12 years ago

1) Sycamore (The American version, platanus occidentalis, although I also like plane trees)

There are great stands of them here and they are stately in summer, and the bark is beautiful in winter. Standing alone in a cornfield, they look as if they are holding up the sky.

2) Hedge Maple (acer campestre) A most tidy and well behaved little maple with lovely leaves. One is a back-drop in a garden nook and it's totally care-free and provides an amazing backdrop to other plantings

3) Red Buckeye (aesculus pavia) Another care-free little tree with astounding flowers and beautiful symmetry without the help of a pruner.

4) Magnolia of any ilk, I have nine of them and not enough to sate my thirst for them. My favs are the southern grandiflora, Leonard Messel, and the macrophyla.

5) Crabapples..........a size, shape and bloom for every taste.

6) Black Locust........messy, thorny, large and weedy. But when they bloom, I forgive them.

7) American Chestnut..........I have one. If I were a kid, I'd spend a lot of time nestled up in it's low branches.

8) Sugar Maple

9) Tupelo..........if for no other reason than to see it in fall

10) European Beech

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

I'm a sucker for natives, but I have a few non-native favorites as well.

Quercus rubra
    Quercus marilandica
    Nyssa sylvatica
    Carya ovata
    Carya laciniosa
    Cercidiphyllum japonicum (wish that would grow well here)
    Metasequoia glyptostroboides
    Ginkgo biloba
    Cedrus libani
    Acer saccharum
    Aesculus flava
    Davidia involucrata
    Cladrastis kentukea
    Fraxinus americana
    Pinus palustris
    Pinus echinata
    Liriodendron tulipifera (from afar...not really a lawn tree for me)

• aquilachrysaetos
    12 years ago

Probably my most favorite is London Plane. Big, tough and wind resistant. After much research it became my number one choice for a big decidous tree because I needed big shade in the summer -big enough to shade my yard and the asphalt of the street to cut down on the heat island effect. Not big enough to do the job yet but my trees are growing fast and getting handsomer by the year. My trees also give decent fall color if we get a cold snap.

Another favorite is Deodar cedar. They bring some foresty, conifery beauty to hot dry So Cal. In shape they are a lot like a number of species I see in the mountains that won't grow down on the flat.

Crape myrtles are my favorite flowering tree. They offer a riot of flowers when it's scorching hot and everything else is hunkering down for the summer. Many cultivars also have brilliant fall foliage and if you can refrain from pruning them they have beautiful winter form.

Hollywood Juniper (aka twisting juniper. I've also seen it called Kaizuka) This one is not planted much anymore in Cali but there are some old beautiful ones still around. I like how they look like green flames. I have one I planted 15 years ago that I can pretty much ignore and it still looks good.

Tecate cypress is a newcomer to my plant menagerie. I got one that was taller than myself last year and plopped it in the ground. It's grown some. It just looks kinda wild. I like it.

Arizona cypress. Don't have this one yet. I like their bluish color and they seem to grow fairly quickly. I wanna get some for a privacy screen.

Mondell pine (aka Eldarica). After a few years getting established they can get by on So Cal's rain. They make lots of pretty pinecones.

Canary Island Date Palm is a Cali classic. When enough fronds are left on so that they form a complete sphere, they're beautiful. When pruned up to look like pinapples they're hideous. Trees left with full heads make nice roosts for barn owls.

Queen Palms are hideous with the way most people prune them but vigorous, well-grown trees with full heads are spectacular. I love the way they whisper and sparkle in the breeze.

Oaks -any kind are favorites with me. Canyon oak is probably my favorite. Its form looks like trees in old paintings. Up close, its leaves and acorns are lovely.

If I could plant any tree and I had the space, I would plant a Valley Oak.

• jimbobfeeny
    12 years ago

A few favorite trees, not ranked in order of preference:

1)Sugar maple. This is an outstanding tree, with deep green, broad foliage and beautiful fall color.

2)Shellbark hickory. These are nice trees - not exceptionally colored in the fall, but the curious bark and huge, compound leaves are quite striking. The nuts are delicious, too!

3)White Pine. I love the soft, graceful look of mature white pines, and they are adaptable.

4)Yellow Birch. A bit unconventional, but I actually prefer yellow over white birch. There's nothing like a nice, healthy White birch, but I love the bronzy yellow bark and gigantic form of yellow birch. The wintergreen-scented twigs are nice, too.

5)Red Spruce. Most common North of the US, this spruce has a look similar to Norway spruce, but without the drooping branchlets. I actually prefer it to Norway - Much less adaptable, though (So I've heard)

6)Red Oak - Nothing like a huge, old Red oak. I particularly like the strains from Northern Illinois.

7)Flowering Dogwood. Beautiful flowers, striking fall foliage. Neat, layered branches.

8)Eastern Hemlock - I love the soft, wispy foliage and the spare, tall trunk.

9)Fraser Fir. Popular christmas tree, reportedly hard to grow. The aroma of the bruised needles is one of the greatest plant smells out there.

10)American Beech. The smooth, gray bark is quite appealing, and the glossy green leaves are nice in the summertime. Quite rugged.

Sorry to bore everyone; I just like plants from the North and Appalachia. If there was just 1 tree I could grow, though, it would most certainly be Sugar Maple. I've peppered our property with sugar maple saplings!

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

Doh! Meant to write Cedrus deodara, not Cedrus libani.

• scotjute Z8
    12 years ago

For Z8 central Texas :
    Conifers : Eastern Red Cedar, Arizona Cypress, Bald Cypress.
    Deciduous : Cedar Elm, Pecan, Live Oak, Bur Oak, Shumard Oak, Texas Ash.
    These are trees that do well in this area and look good.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Not boring JimBob. I love my natives! No doubt if I lived in China (or where ever), I would have a long list of favorite Chinese trees.

Some favorites -

Acer saccharum/sugar maple - in good years, the fall color on the trees around here is spectacular. I become a hazard on the road due to rubbernecking these trees.

Acer saccharinum/silver maple - I know this tree is not in favor, but I love them, just not near human habitation! LOL There are some incredibly stately and beautiful specimens in my neighborhood. And the more I observe it, the more I see how frequently it is used by wildlife.

Cornus florida/flowering dogwood - this tree has it all, beautiful flowers, interesting berries the birds like, and great fall color

Sassafras albidum - love this tree for a lot of reasons, its interesting form, cool leaves, and because it's one of the primary host plants for the Spicebush Swallowtail

Cladrastis kentukea/yellowwood - Attractive smooth grey bark, nice foliage, and incredible flowers when it blooms

Tilia americana - fabulous fragrance on this tree! My back yard is perfumed when they are in bloom

Crabapples - same reasons other posters listed above

Magnolia soulangiana - gorgeous!

Salix babylonica - not native, and lots of liabilities, but love the romantic weeping habit

Tsuga canadensis, Catalpa speciosa, Platanus occidentalis, many Quercus species, etc. I love them all!

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    12 years ago

I think back to the trees I liked most as a kid because I loved to climb trees and build treehouses and play in the leaves!
    1. Sugar maple-beautiful leaves, good to climb, tasty sap
    2. Weeping willow-first to leaf out, grew fast and fun to climb
    3. Horsechestnut--huge flattened branches on the ole grandaddy's, easy to walk on and find a branch to hold. Throwing conkers was a bonus
    4. Standard apple tree: build a tree house or lookout platform, fragrant blooms, fruit to sample at all stages

There's the kid in me! :-)

• krycek1984
    12 years ago

Saw-tooth aspen. Just absolutely beautiful and they do so well here. I love them. There were some at the old house and they were breath taking.

Next in line is tulip tree, love those as well. I find them so amazing.

Norway Spruces have a way of becoming beautiful in an odd way once they have been around a while.

Sweetgum - I love the shape of the trees, the monkeyballs are a pain but I can live with them.

Red Maples & Oaks are honorable mentions. Not into Sugar Maples - I rarely see beautiful ones around here that aren't in an established forest.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Just felt like bumping this thread. This list changes all the time for me.

1. Quercus alba - White Oak. majestic, a tree that looks like a tree. Beautiful bark, great winter form. Summer foliage with just that slight glacuous tinge that's not quite blue-green but different than most trees. Pinkish/red/russetish fall color that is gorgeous without being overbearing.

2. Quercus coccinea - Scarlet Oak. The wild, crazy cousin of Q. alba. Much brighter fall color, glossy summer leaves. The grand finale of the autumn season. Grows fast, tolerates dry, crappy soil.

3. Aesculus flava - Yellow Buckeye. Tougher, taller, and less prone to scorch and August defoliation than it's close cousins the Ohio Buckeye and Common Horsechestnut. Decent to good fall color (Yellow to orange). Leafs out early and has very lush looking foliage when most trees are bare or barely budding. Attractive but rather inconspicuous blooms.

4. Metasequoia glyptostroboides - Dawn Redwood. Fast growing, ancient conifer with a cool story. Mature specimens are simultaneously ragged and massive (big, fluted trunks) but soft and delicate (foliage).

5. Nyssa sylvatica - Blackgum/Tupelo. See one in fall, and that's all I need to say. Large enough for shade but not (usually) too huge (sometimes they can break through and get massive, however).

6. Acer saccharum - Sugar Maple. The kings of fall color. Dark green foliage that makes a good shade without the overbearing density of Norway Maple foliage. The fall color that all other fall color is compared to. Nicely shaped.

7. Bitternut Hickory - Carya cordiformis. Not edible (if this were a list of edible trees, it's cousin the Shellbark would win) but I like them because they're common and produce the best and most reliable yellow/gold fall color around here. Better than #8...

8. Liriodendron tulipifera - Tuliptree/Yellow Poplar. Tall, fast growing, neat looking leaves and flowers. Usually good yellows in fall, but not quite as good as #7 nor as long-lasting.

9. Cercis canadensis - Eastern Redbud. They say "spring" to me when they bloom. Short lived but so much better IMHO than the flowering cherries and crabs.

10.Cladrastis kentukea - American Yellowwood. Why is this not planted more? Gorgeous flowers, nice foliage, typically good fall color, big enough to make a statement but not normally too large for a suburban lot.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Mine is sorta the same: Just about any oak, Q. Virginiana an unattainable favorite, though, but, Q. Alba, and Compton's oak are great (with time) trees as is Q. V. Sycamore, and the previously mentioned Magnolia grandiflora. I have a Mag GR. which has done well, dispite last winter. I will be trying Longleaf pine "montane" which is okay in zone 6. So I am excited about trying it, so it is on my list of favorite trees also, updated from my 2012 post. Poaky1

• Elektron
    9 years ago

My list changes from time to time, but these are consistently some of my favorites:

Sugar maples, especially the drought and heat tolerant varieties that will grow where I live such as 'Legacy,' the Caddo ecotypes, and bigtooth maple.

Douglas fir. Really wish I could grow them here.

Deodar cedar

Various pines, including Ponderosa, Loblolly, and Shortleaf.

Texas ash. The drought-tolerant, Texas version of white ash.

Live oaks, especially when they are hanging with Spanish moss.

Black gum/Tupelo. Amazing fall color. I've only seen one this far west down in our river bottom. I luckily found two little seedlings beneath it that I potted up.

Scarlet oak and Texas red oak. Drought tolerant, great fall color, and good for wildlife.

American sycamore

I've also always been fascinated with the African baobab, Adansonia digitata.

This post was edited by Elektron on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 22:29

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Quercus virginiana

Ilex latifolia

Quercus acuta

Quercus myrsinifolia

Citrus sinensis (Hey, I never said I could grow all these!)

Ilex integra

Ilex purpurea (chinensis)

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Plenty of favorites -- just plant as many as you can for diversity. Generally, oaks and pines are favorites of mine as they are the most common families in the forests here, and evergreens (hardwoods & softwoods) are very useful as windbreaks upwind of the house/property & as road-screens & defy the winter gray/brown.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

Dave, does your q. acuta ever produce viable seed? mine grows o.k. ,looks very nice, and produces lots of tiny acorns which never develop fully. for anybody reading this thread and this message---a while back I also posted my "fave" trees but I think (like maybe other folks who also posted on the subject) that the list of trees I love and can grow or have a reasonable chance of growing is very much longer and often the "most faves" change with the season or when I happen to really notice a particular tree that may have been "hiding" in a corner of the property I haven't visited for a while or has taken a while to get out of the "baby" stage and start to show it's beauty. guess I love all my trees natives and "exotics"---which is why I planted them all in the first place, LOL.

• bear_with_me
    9 years ago

I am in maritime Washington state. Most of my favorites are trees that grow here.

1. Ginkgo biloba. The picture is in my back yard. I grew that specimen from seed planted about 1997, from a tree that I knew as a boy. I've grown about a dozen others from seeds.

2. Linden americana and Linden cordata. I have young Redmond and Greenspire. These are for the tree shape and leaves, but especially the flowers for honeybee forage.

3. Pine trees in general. I don't know the species or variety. I like Ponderosa pines.

4. The grand Sequoia trees.

5. Pawpaw trees. There is something really American about them. I have little starts but may not live to see them bear fruit.

6. If fruit trees can be included, then also Persimmons. Beautiful trees and fall color, and tasty fruits.

7. I really love Monkey Puzzle trees but the one I planted died.

8. I also really love Dawn redwood. I think one of the trends here is living fossil trees.

9. Hardy palms. I have a nice Windmill palm Trachycarpus fortunei that I planted about 13 years ago. It survived last year's 8F freeze week. I love looking around at other specimens in town. There are not a lot.

10. Common fig, many varieties. Easy to start from cuttings and grow. I love the fruit and foliage. I've started a couple dozen and given them away.

Nice topic. I was looking around at interesting topics and this is a great one.

• cousinfloyd
    9 years ago

To throw something exotic out, one of the most memorable tree species I can remember were the pohutukawas on the north coast of the North Island of New Zealand. They remind me a lot of live oaks (Quercus virginiana) in size and form, but they grow especially in dramatic locations along the coast, all of which makes them fabulous trees already, but on top of that they have amazing mid-summer (Christmas time) flowers. From a distance they look just like they're covered in poinsettias: it's that same striking red and it just covers the tree, again like a poinsettia. I can't think of any other full-sized trees (especially not that grow in my region) that just cover themselves with color like that; the closest thing I can think of is a peach tree, except peach trees are nowhere near the size, and pink isn't quite is stunning. And the nectar of the pohutukawa also makes probably the most delicious honey I've ever eaten (and I'm a beekeeper and I used to really be into collecting different honeys, so I've probably tried close to a hundred varietal honeys.) I only have limited exposure to pohutukawas, but it was very memorable.

Speaking of amazing trees that aren't native to the Southeast, I'd have to mention the obvious giant sequoias and coastal redwoods. But even the old growth tulip-poplars (yellow-poplars) in the western part of my state (NC) are similarly amazing, even if they'd be dwarfed by the giant sequoias and coastal redwoods.

As far as the kind of trees that I could grow where I'm located (west of Winston-Salem), Asian persimmons (D. kaki) are terrific landscape trees, especially the late ripening, astringent-until-ripe varieties that hold large, bright orange fruit into December and even beyond. And the fruit is delicious. Besides fresh eating, it makes perhaps the best dried fruit I've ever tasted. And the trees and fruit are generally easy to grow and trouble free.

For a native tree, I love mature shortleaf pines. They're a great lumber tree in the woods (and as boards), and they're a great specimen tree grown in the open, almost as pleasing to me as a mature, spreading Quercus alba, which I'd have to mention, too.

I like gingkos for their symmetry, but especially for their fall color and the way the leaves fall off in one tremendous cascade the first morning after the first hard fall freeze.

I don't know if figs really count as trees, but for fruit that's trouble-free (except for infrequent winter injury in my location, from which it recovers very quickly), as enjoyable to eat as any fruit I can think of (besides also making excellent dried fruit, depending somewhat on variety), and with such a long season (potentially July-early November here), I don't think any other fruit can compare.

• Vivien23- Zone 6B
    6 years ago

Which is my favorite child?

- White Oak

- Sugar Maple

- Beech

- Blue Beech (carpinus caroliniana)

- Sassafrass

- White Pine

- Flowering Dogwood

- Tulip Tree