Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Borders around a tree

Posted by lostsoul62 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 10:14

I have 2 trees with a diameter of 12 to 18 inches with a 6 foot inside brick border and I am planting 6 blue star junipers inside the border but the borders are too small so I�m going to expand the inside border from 6 feet to 7.5 feet and plant the junipers 1 foot away from the bricks which will be 2 foot from the tree. Because of the root system I need to put 4 inches of dirt inside the border which will be 4 inches over the root system. Is this going to work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Borders around a tree

First thing that comes to mind when reading your post is that blue star junipers look absolutely horrible in shade. They look as cute as a button when they're young and grown in full sun, but they tend to get pretty open looking in time, and they are just completely intolerant of shade.

As to whether it will hurt a tree to build up 4" of soil over the root system, it depends on the type of tree and the type of soil among other things. Some trees are more tolerant of root burying than others. Light, well-draining soil is less harmful than heavier soil. So, while you might get away with it, it's not a good idea and could damage or kill your tree.

o

My 2 cents is get some large growing hostas, liriope, ferns or fern leaved Bleeding heart. I would pick all of these plus some other shade plants. For no fuss the hostas can't be beat.

o

Blue stars like sun. I have a juniper hedge partially shaded by trees over the years and they're doing OK, but consider the spread on this type of juniper. Two feet away from a tree is just too close to allow it to attain a good form as it matures. I think I see your vision of soft blue/green living mulch around the trees, but if you can't put their root systems farther away and make your beds larger I'd go with something you can install and not tinker with the tree's environment so much. Most people make their under-tree beds too small anyway. You'[re always best to site shrubbery, or any plant for that matter, where it will fit at maturity without having to keep it pruned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here