Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are there green-leaved varieties of Prunus cerasifera?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 10:29

All over the place around here, you see the "purple leaved plums" which just finished bloming. I like their form and flower, but really can't stand the purple leaved. Are there any green-leaved "flowering" cultivars of the P. cerasifera in existence? IF so where can I get them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are there green-leaved varieties of Prunus cerasifera?

Looks like the straight species is green-leaved...not sure what the form is like although it appears that all of the purple varieties are grafted onto its rootstocks, which is why all the unpruned suckers on the commercial plantings have green leaves! The straight species is going to be fruit-bearing, which you may not want even if you like the form.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Botanical Garden - P. cerasifera photos

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 19:22

Orchard fruit sources sell green-leaved selections of cherry plum. But for ornamental purposes the neatest one is 'Lindsayae', with purple stems, green leaves and almond pink flowers. But I doubt it is on the market anywhere in the US! I have seen it listed as being in the collections of the US National Arboretum.

Mine came from a non-commercial source. It has never suckered whereas rootstock cherry plums are apt to send up thickets of spiny trunks.

o

plum has sooo many problems.. like black knot .. and gummosis ...

that it is beyond me.. why you would plant one for any reason ...

and if you want green .. there have to be thousands of better trees for the spot rather than a problematic one ...

but if it makes you happy.. knock yourself out ... who really cares what i think

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I was thinking the same thing...and if you want a green-leaved tree flowering tree there are some great crab apples (I know, I know, another tree a lot of folks hate). For example, 'Professor Sprenger', which has apple-blossom pink/white buds/flowers, green leaves, and then incredible display of orange fruit in fall. Not sure how long it would hang on where you are, but I get three months of it here and it is really showy. The fruit is not messy like the plums so it being fruit-bearing is less of an issue. Crabs can get fire blight (but so can plums).

I've attached a link to Frank Schmidt's crab apple list - my arborist swears by their arboriculture techniques. Also a photo of the fruit in November (here in CA). Just a thought, as Ken says there are many choices.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: J Frank Schmidt Crab Apple Chart

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here