Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 10:31

Is there any hope?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rowan problem

For some green leaves, next year....absolutely.

For the tree to become "healthy" again....not at all.

I wouldn't be standing under that tree in a windstorm.

o

Well I'd rather be under that one than the old Bradford pear opposite it.....LOL.. I have a lot of old trees with problems :(

o

That's an excellent pic above of why included bark is such a problem.

But what Brandon said. That tree is on its last legs.

o

How old do you guys think the tree is? Just got the house. And I wonder how much to take it down (the is nothing around it just the pear...which needs to come down too)

o

Nothing for scale. but maybe 35-40 years. Your cost is the rental of a chainsaw for the minimum time to perform a 1-inch heading cut. That would be some nice kindling for the fire.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 13:13

I had to look up the fact this was Sorbus aucuparia (assuming) which is not that special of a tree due to the multitude of diseases and pests, more so than many other species.

I would be done with it based on the combination of bark issues and crotch angles.

o

Agree that tree won't last too much longer - rowans aren't particularly long-lived.

But it doesn't look to be in a danger-promoting situation, so you could leave it to die off naturally and might get a few more years' life out of it before it does so. But don't stand close to it on windy days.

Resin

o

I'd agree with resin. The local birds will enjoy those nooks and crannies searching for invertebrates and then they'll get a berry bonus in the winter.

o

Not long term. You could possibly save it for a few years if you wanted to concoct some kind of bracing system, but that would take a LOT of effort and some heavy duty hardware to support all of that weight during the force of a wind storm of snow/ice storm.

But really, probably better to just let go and start fresh.

o

Thanks everyone. Now off to search the forum for some ideal trees to line the driveway that are very wind resistant, can handle lots of clay and hot sun and are deer proof.......

o

yes.. its a goner ...

but lets be clear.. we are talking tree years.. and it might be there for a decade or two ..

resin is correct ... its out in BFE.. so your assignment.. should you wish to accept it.. is to watch it.. and learn ...

and what the heck you would be doing out there in a storm.. is beyond me ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here