11 years ago

Is there any hope?

{{gwi:333929}}

{{gwi:333931}}

{{gwi:333932}}

Comments (11)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

For some green leaves, next year....absolutely.

For the tree to become "healthy" again....not at all.

I wouldn't be standing under that tree in a windstorm.

• kbard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I'd rather be under that one than the old Bradford pear opposite it.....LOL.. I have a lot of old trees with problems :(

• WxDano
    11 years ago

That's an excellent pic above of why included bark is such a problem.

But what Brandon said. That tree is on its last legs.

• kbard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How old do you guys think the tree is? Just got the house. And I wonder how much to take it down (the is nothing around it just the pear...which needs to come down too)

• WxDano
    11 years ago

Nothing for scale. but maybe 35-40 years. Your cost is the rental of a chainsaw for the minimum time to perform a 1-inch heading cut. That would be some nice kindling for the fire.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I had to look up the fact this was Sorbus aucuparia (assuming) which is not that special of a tree due to the multitude of diseases and pests, more so than many other species.

I would be done with it based on the combination of bark issues and crotch angles.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Agree that tree won't last too much longer - rowans aren't particularly long-lived.

But it doesn't look to be in a danger-promoting situation, so you could leave it to die off naturally and might get a few more years' life out of it before it does so. But don't stand close to it on windy days.

Resin

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I'd agree with resin. The local birds will enjoy those nooks and crannies searching for invertebrates and then they'll get a berry bonus in the winter.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Not long term. You could possibly save it for a few years if you wanted to concoct some kind of bracing system, but that would take a LOT of effort and some heavy duty hardware to support all of that weight during the force of a wind storm of snow/ice storm.

But really, probably better to just let go and start fresh.

• kbard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. Now off to search the forum for some ideal trees to line the driveway that are very wind resistant, can handle lots of clay and hot sun and are deer proof.......

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

yes.. its a goner ...

but lets be clear.. we are talking tree years.. and it might be there for a decade or two ..

resin is correct ... its out in BFE.. so your assignment.. should you wish to accept it.. is to watch it.. and learn ...

and what the heck you would be doing out there in a storm.. is beyond me ...

ken