Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j0nd03

Cercis canadensis 'Rising Sun'

j0nd03
12 years ago

I have recently been pressured to post pics of this tree by another poster here. So here are some out of focus pics taken this morning in between lightening strikes and thunder punches... LO---BOOM--L AAHHHHH

{{gwi:333954}}
By jp_42_82 at 2012-03-08

{{gwi:333956}}

{{gwi:333957}}

{{gwi:333958}}

{{gwi:333959}}

I will update here with new pics as the leaves continue to emerge and develop and throughout the growing season. We will put the patent claims of heat and drought tolerant even vigorous growth during such conditions to the test though it may take a few years to get a good idea of established performance. The patent also claims the foliage did not burn in summer. We will see how it fares in the heart of the River Valley...

Here is a link that might be useful: Patent info

Comments (54)

• arktrees
    12 years ago

OHHH, so it's MMYYYYYYYY fault you have a tree addiction, and LOVE to show off your babies. Plus, I was looking all for all the people here on GW that haven't gotten to see these yet and/or are not seeing signs of spring yet. Of all the things...... Try to help a guy have what he wants and to be happy, and this is how it turns out............. :-P Oh, and I noticed that you omitted the little detail that you are so hardcore that you went out and took a picture last night. :-D

Oh, and thanks for the pictures. Those I saw last year all sold quickly, and I did not get to see them develop. There were just tiny apricot colored shoots starting to emerge. Still they were VERY impressive.

On a side note, I saw Sugar Maples breaking bud today.... only about a month early.

Arktrees

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, well, since you did it for other's enjoyment I guess I'll let it slide.

And I misspoke when I said you made me buy it. I called every nursery in a 100 mile radius trying to locate a Rising Sun at a good price. I even ended up on the phone with the patent owner who discovered the tree during that time!

I did purchase this tree as a 5 gallon for $60 which is very reasonable at this point in time for this particular tree. I believe soonerplantfarm #5's are around $100 and the other sources I contacted were similar or more expensive.

The weather was awesome last night for picture taking. Plus I had the owls keeping me company. It's not often I have the whole property to myself while everyone is asleep :)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

Neat. How can we pressure u into a spring, summer and fall photo display as well?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

whats tattering ... in the garden world ....

it rips itself to shreds????

ken

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can be pressured with blackmailing, seeds, and golf balls.

If successful, I will post pics in the spring maybe once or twice a week (I can take more if requested). Right now that that redbud is moving very fast a few pics a week might be the best thing. Summer and fall I will most likely take a couple of pics a month. Of course as the tree greens up, I will take more pics if additional flushes of new growth emerge. And no more phone pics! I will use an actual camera for the rest of the series as long as I am not dodging lightening bolts during the process.

Ken, I can never tell if you are serious or thinking on a different level than me lol

What I call 'tatter' is basically a loss of intense color on the leaf and a 'beat up' appearance. Leaves look dried out and wrinkled. And yes, the leaf can be missing portions of the complete leaf as it appeared when it matured in late spring/early summer.

John

• arktrees
    12 years ago

How about guilt? Will guilt make you post pics? :-))

All your friends here on GW that have helped you with tough choices, helped you with planting, soil questions, plants, pictures, and compassion when things went wrong. When tree blew over, and everything was in disarray due to record heat and drought. We here at GW shared your pain. All the people here who live in the north of the country and spring is a distant wish, and all those that have not had to joy of seeing some of the trees you have planted in their prime. Don't you think these same people would love to share the success with such an unusual new Redbud that almost nobody has? Give back is very important.

How was that? Was that guilt inspiring enough? :-)

On a side note, one the flowers open, I will post a few pics of a new crabapple cultivar that we planted a few weeks ago. Assuming of course nothing happens to it in the intervening time. Oh, and John is responsible for that one. He found it, and when my S.O. saw pics of it, she HAD to have it. Expensive little ###.

Arktrees

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How about a trade. I'll post pics of the redbud if you post pics of the crabapple. I hope they both live up to the hype!

I will throw up some comparison leaf pics late this summer of all the supposed heat and drought tolerant sugar maple cultivars I have planted, too. They include 'Hiawatha', 'Autumn Splendor', 'John Pair', 'Legacy', with 'Commemoration' and species saccharum for reference.

John

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

what i want to know.. i why someone would name and spend 5 grand to patent a tree they know has a proclivity to tatter ...

in other words.. they admit is a foo foo piece of crap.. but think they can entice jon to buy it..

of course.. with that pink suit.. he will ...

ken

ps: everything with leaf surface other than green has a potential to burn and look like carp by late august.. its bboys biggest argument against my beloved tricolors.. who cares.. everything has its season to look good .. just dont look at it in august.. crimminey ... plant something else to look at then ...

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Last night was the third night this tree experienced temps in the 25-26* range since leafing out. No damage showing up yet.

{{gwi:333960}}
    By jp_42_82 at 2012-03-09

{{gwi:333961}}

{{gwi:333962}}

Pics from a real camera...

Ken, the Forest Pansy would have fared much better with some afternoon shade. Not really the originator's fault, just a siting problem.

• arktrees
    12 years ago

Looks like it made it through without issues. Glad to see it. Much colder last night than forecast, but more normal for early March... for one day anyway. Hope that's the last of it like that since everything is so intent busting out early.

Forest Pansy side note. There is a local Wal Mart Neighborhood Market that have them planted in landscape islands of their parking lot. They actually do "OK", wouldn't say they are "happy" about it, but they do survive better than I would expect with much fewer problems than I would have expected.

Arktrees

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

Hi Ken glad to see you have more than one addiction besides hostas like me..:)

There is a grower in Texas who is selling I think they were 2-3ft trees of Rising Sun for $35.00. I found them on Bonanza-similar to Ebay. The name is WaWagirls Nursery. I purchaed a small Chocolate Mimosa but not the Redbud as a local nursery has 4-5fters coming in for $35.00 in a few weeks.

Scott

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the arboretum link I mentioned earlier. Thanks to brandon7 for posted a while ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Merlot (1:37) and Rising Sun (4:10)

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update time... these pics were taken 6 days since the last picture update

{{gwi:333963}}
    By jp_42_82 at 2012-03-15

{{gwi:333964}}

{{gwi:333965}}

{{gwi:333966}}

• arktrees
    12 years ago

Looking good there John. Our Oklahoma Redbud opened it's first flowers yesterday. Still no cold in site, but still a month to go, although IIRC Ft. Smith's average last freeze date is 3-31.

Arktrees

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We certainly appear to be in the clear looking at the long term GFS. Things can change in hurry, no doubt, but we struggled to get to freezing in Jan/Feb so I am betting we will be safe the rest of March/April.

You reminded me, I have one more pic of the open flowers below. The Oklahoma Redbuds at the local hospital are quickly moving to full flower the last couple of days, too.

{{gwi:333967}}

• arktrees
    12 years ago

Went out and took a couple of pics of our Oklahoma Redbud when I got home this evening. Thought you and perhaps others would enjoy them.

Arktrees

{{gwi:333968}}

{{gwi:334014}}

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The word 'LOADED' comes to mind. That looks to be about the maximum flowering attainable.

I was at Atwoods of all places yesterday and they have Oklahoma Redbuds in #5 for $19.99!

• arktrees
    12 years ago

If you get one, I would try to see it in flower (or at least with fairly well developed flower buds) if possible. There seems to be a fair amount of variation in the intensity of color. Some are almost pink, others are very much in the purple realm. I prefer the later. Have seen some that are almost grape purple. This particular individual came from Lowe's before I realized how much variation there is. It's pretty much middle of the road between the two. The glossy shiny leaves are also interesting during the summer as well.

Last year, while I was concern we would lose it to the severe cold we got, may female counter-part made it clear that if we lose from the cold, that another one WOULD BE PLANTED! :-)

Arktrees

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The leaves are beginning to green up already! The new growth is now emerging yellow instead of the apricot pink that emerged at bud break. It may be due this weird spring or because it is a new transplant, but I think it more closely resembles 'Hearts of Gold' than Rising Sun TM. We will see how it continues to progress.

In the second pic you can see some kind of disease a couple of patches of new growth contracted during our extremely wet period last week.

{{gwi:334015}}
    By jp_42_82 at 2012-03-28

{{gwi:334016}}
    By jp_42_82 at 2012-03-28

• arktrees
    12 years ago

John,
    For disease, are you talking about the black dots? Or are you talking about the 'wilted tip'? If the later, I would cut back to the vigorous growing branches. Be sure to clean the pruners between before you begin, and after each individual cuts. I use Isopropyl on the cutting surfaces. The tree would probable be fine without doing anything, but since it's a bit stressed from being a new planting I wouldn't leave that shoot or any others like it.

Arktrees

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

That is likely freeze/frost damage. Same thing on some of my maples.

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would normally attribute that to such but we haven't had a freeze in about 2 weeks. I guess it could be old damage I didn't notice.

John

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

It took exactly 2 weeks for the leaves to shrivel and blacken on mine too. I could be completely off as I'm just going off observation I guess.

Menards of all places has 'Burgundy Hearts', 'Silver Cloud' and 'Rising Sun'. They had a really nice specimen of RS...too bad I don't have the space!

For any of the WI viewers, its the Germantown location. They also have a couple really nice Shatung Maples.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

Beautiful tree! Thanks for posting. I recently bought one myself and also Ruby Falls. I have Forest Pansy but I'm trying to find a Merlot as well. I'm trying to collect the different Redbuds. The Merlot will look better in the row of trees bc it's closer in size to the Rising Sun, Hearts of Gold, Little Woody and Ace of Hearts. I love these trees!

• arktrees
    11 years ago

Soooo, I was driving near work a few days ago, and I noticed this redbud tree that was different than the usual that you see. My first though, was that it was a 'Hearts of Gold' that looked really nice. So I made a mental note to stop sometime and take a pic or two with the cell phone. So a couple days ago I stop and get closer, and to my surprise I see the apricot colored on the newest leaves. It's a 'Rising Sun' Redbud instead of 'Hearts of Gold'. Which is really odd as these just became fairly reasonable available this year, and this tree was probable planted a couple years ago when the bank for which it is part of the landscaping was built. So I snapped a few pics as planned and posted them below. Quality could be better, but for a cellphone, not too bad. Also note this tree is in full blistering sun between a concrete sidewalk and a parking lot. It is irrigated, but that is still a pretty harsh environment, and as can be seen below, there is not leaf burn at this time. I will keep and eye upon it as the summer progresses.

Arktrees

{{gwi:334017}}

{{gwi:334019}}

{{gwi:334020}}

{{gwi:334021}}

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

What a great looking tree, ark! John, you have something really special to look for ward too. :)

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

Edit: "...to look forward to." Could GW at least get into the 20th century and give us an Edit button?

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I sure do! Unfortunately, mine looks pretty shameful compared to Ark's specimen above. I'll post some new pics sometime this week :)

John

ps - totally agree with an edit button. I have made more than one continuous triple post because I could not edit the original one

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

Looking forward to the pic update John, I don't know how I missed this thread when you first posted it. I'd love to try one of these trees but with the two oaks and 2 baldcypress hub brought home last week I have no idea where I'm going to fit everything as it is. On the plus side, I repotted the trees into bigger pots to hold them for the summer and all 4 have good looking root systems, no circling or pot-bound roots, woohoo. lol

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GV, don't get discouraged! There is always room for one more, if only for a little while ;)

Well, as you can see, my 'Rising Sun' is not the picturesque tree that shows up in a google search for said tree. Insect damage, frost injury, and a little scorch but hanging in there and it is looking like our summer will be nowhere near as extremely hot and dry as last. JUST LIVE BABY!

{{gwi:334022}}
    By jp_42_82 at 2012-06-14

{{gwi:334023}}

{{gwi:334024}}

• lyoshka
    11 years ago

oh, I just found this thread and am having way too much fun reading it and looking at the pictures of your beautiful redbuds!!! Will you please update how your baby tree is doing now?

It's one of the 3 trees I'm considering for my front yard garden, would love to hear more about how yours is progressing now that we are into the fall..

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lyoshka, the tree looks pretty much exactly like it did from the pics I took in June. I think that is pretty darn good, too considering our drought and really hot temps from that point until September. I'll post new pics when it starts to get some fall color =)

John

• lyoshka
    11 years ago

John, awesome! can't wait to see more.

Lena

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, the tree actually fared pretty well during the brutal summer heat and drought with a few supplemental waterings (amazing what a good mulch pile can to to retain moisture!). As a reminder the tree is full sun all day and there was some scorch and leaf tatter but the tree did not seem overly stressed to me. Below is the best of what little fall color it had. I expect/hope the foliage fares better in all 3 seasons next year. Also a pic of the numerous flower buds it made (and competing leader that needs to be pruned).

{{gwi:334025}}

{{gwi:334026}}

• arktrees
    11 years ago

Looking good. All those flower buds tell you how the tree is "feeling". I prune our Oklahoma Redbud as soon as it finishes flowering in the spring. That has worked out well. Most years it has grown about 2'/yr, though it is slowing down a bit now as it gets larger (this is expected). I like that from your pics that it may actually have a fairly nice yellow for fall. That would be a very nice bonus. I have some pics of some fairly nice yellow redbuds from this fall, that I will be posting eventually. Though I think I have about decided to delay posting my fall pics this year until mid-winter when we can all use a pick me up.

Tim

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Off to a great start this year now officially out of drought!!! Quite a bit cooler this spring for us like all of the eastern US and we had another light freeze last night dipping to 30*. I hope and don't expect much damage from this as the freezing temps didn't last long and it LOOKS to be our last freeze of the spring. Of course, here in our valley, never say never and next weeks weather system may surprise me with another freeze although it is not forecast to get quite that cold.

Flowers looking great and new foliage shooting out so far. Much better flowering than its spring last year right out of the container which is to be expected. I am really looking forward to seeing how the leaves color this year. Just like greatly better flowering, I am hoping the leaves are more as advertised that what I saw last year.

Hope the wet and cool trend continues into next fall :)

{{gwi:334027}}

{{gwi:334028}}

{{gwi:334030}}

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

You jerk! How dare you show off that beauty when the rest of us northerners can't even enjoy a daffodil.

Flowers appear to be more of a soft color than typical of the species....I like it!

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, whaas, the flowers are a little softer pink than the local species trees scattered about =)

SUMMER UPDATE

The tree is growing well this year and was loving the relatively cool, wet weather we were having until a couple weeks ago.

Finally seeing some characteristic 'Rising Sun' coloration on branch end leaves that are continuing to push new growth. Looking good so far...

{{gwi:334031}}

{{gwi:334034}}

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Love this - I saw it on Sooner Plant Farm's website and wondered how it truly would look.

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

What a cute tree she's turning into, John. :)

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A month later and here is how she looks. First two pics are on the two most colorful branches. When I take pics around sunset sometimes the color washes out a little and this happened with the last pic in the series, here. Of note, the older foliage is a nice deep green and has not tattered or scorched very much so far. The leaves look about the same as the species redbuds I have around the house. Its getting late in the season so a little wear and tear is normal for my area. The weather wants to stay hot and dry for the foreseeable future.

{{gwi:334037}}

{{gwi:334039}}

{{gwi:334040}}

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Looking like a beauty there John. Bet it really hits the burners on growth next year. You also nicely demonstrate that this selection is happy in full sun as well. All good to know.

Arktrees

• miclino
    10 years ago

how big does this tree really get? I see all sorts of sizes listed online

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No one knows for sure as the original source is quite young itself, less than 20 years old I believe and maybe closer to half that. Speaking offline with Arktrees, they capable of vigorous growth typical of a happy redbud so ultimate size may be around the species average but it's all a guess right now.

They are also now taking selections from Rising Sun offspring and applying for patents. I found the following patent searching for 'JN2' which is the Rising Sun.

John

Edit: I read the patent and it was a branch sport on a Rising Sun growing in a field of RS liners, not a seedling that led to this new selection. It's trade name is Solar Eclipse and SoonerPlantFarm has it for sale HERE

Here is a link that might be useful: Rising Sun branch sport patent

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 12:31

• flowercutter
    10 years ago

My Rising Sun
    Planted in the Fall of 2012 as a 5' - 15 gallon potted tree.
    This pic was taken in late August.

I have many for trade in 10 gallon 5'-6'

I know the patent holder of The Rising Sun and the tree is about 20' and 15' diameter. It loves fertilizer and continues to put out prolific growth throughout the growing season.

• flowercutter
    10 years ago

another pic from the summer of 2013.

It was very rainy season in Virginia. No leaf scorch although
    there was a small amount of leaf spot.

• flowercutter
    10 years ago

I crossed 'The Rising Sun' with 'Ruby Falls'

Got only one seed pod with 3 seeds from the Rising Sun.

Will post seedling pics in the spring. Fingers crossed.

• flowercutter
    10 years ago

sorry to be spamming the board, but I am new and there doesn't seem to be anyone checking out these pages now that it is off season.
    Just wanted to mention that the mulch around the Rising Sun' is a recycled chopped up pallet wood that is dyed brown and the color lasts about 12 months.
    I have planted a Cryptomeria 'Black Dragon' ( which is very dark green ) behind the Rising Sun that will really show off the color.
    Another plant that goes well with it is the Continus x "Grace'.
    Purple leaved smoke tree.

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gorgeous pics, thanks for sharing!

Posting pics of Rising Sun is why this topic exists so don't apologize for contributing ;-)