Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree planting shovel/spade

Posted by salmon 4A WI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 10:40

Hi everyone.

This spring I will be re-planting an area on my property that was recently harvested for oak wilt control. This will be tough planting with lots of roots, compacted soil and brush.

I'm looking to purchase a shovel/spade capable of cutting through small roots and compacted soil. I expect to have to dig down to about 18" and remove some soil. I will be planting bare root stock from 18-36".

Any advice/experience would be appreciated, thanks!

This post was edited by salmon on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 12:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree planting shovel/spade

My husband removed several established trees this year so we could plant in those areas. Some of the roots were as big as tree limbs, and he used an axe! I caught him sharpening that axe many times! He also used a saw.

I doubt there is one shovel alone that can do it all, but I'm watching this thread. His birthday is coming up!

Suzi

o

the key is simple ...

sharpen your shovel ... file or grinding wheel ....

key #2 ... if you hit a big root ... MOVE THE FREAKIN HOLE ... a few inches one way or another ...

work smart.. not hard ...

frankly.. i think you are making it a bigger problem.. then it will turn out to be... if you use those two ideas ...

good luck.. and have fun doing it ...

ken

o

"I expect to have to dig down to about 18" and remove some soil."

I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill (or a canyon out of a planting hole), but something caught my eye here. Why would you need to dig that deeply for such small trees? Normally, you shouldn't need to dig down any deeper than the bottom of the root system, and most 18" to 36" seedlings will have a fairly small (shallow) root system.

o

Hands-down. King of Spades long-handled shovel.
One-piece construction. Expensive, but worth it.
Wouldn't be without one.

Here is a link that might be useful: King of Spades

o

Depends on where you live. We live east of Raleigh. It is almost impossible to plant using only a shovel because of the rocks and clay. (Round river type rocks. and some granite veins with quartz.)

The only way to go is a Mattock.

"http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1260334"

Using the pick end you can work through the stones. Using the other end you can cut through the roots.

I have also used it to level tree roots that are sticking above the ground interfering with the lawn mower. For this purpose it is better than an axe, as the cut is parallel to the ground. Best tool I have in my shed.

o

Sawzall for roots. Get one you can plug into your house not a battery powered one.

OR, get a chainsaw and a chain you don't care about.

There are terrible things you can do with unmounted miter saws but you better have your insurance paid up....

You know, I like Ken's view. Move the hole a few inches.

o

This tool was a miracle for me! Not sure how it will work on large roots but so much better than a shovel. Also great to pry and snap the roots.

True Temper 1160000 71-Inch Post Hole Digging Bar by Ames True Temper http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VACVPG/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_TELhtb13ZA9W3

o

a good quality drain spade

o

Best spade for cutting through roots and highly compacted soil is one with a sawtooth rather than a straight across blade. These can be found at suppliers such as A. M. Leonard or can likely be ordered by a local store which sells farm and garden equipment. These spades will slice through roots much more easily than a normal spade no matter how well sharpened it is. Rocks are best attacked with a mattock plus a a sturdy pry bar.

o

Have you considered a backhoe?

o

Salmon, no feedback? I guess the backhoe comment was supposed to be funny, I'm not sure.

o

considering the amount of work described and the conditions, mechanized help would be the most efficient way to go. At the very least, a bobcat.

o

Thanks for all the suggestions - including the backhoe (on my wishlist)!

o

For bare root trees, my weapon of choice is a rock bar

http://www.lowes.com/pd_277876-42268-TB-175-LW+33382_0__?productId=3055437

or post hole diggers

http://www.lowes.com/pd_288182-302-1714400_0__

o

This video was a life savor for me. Shows how to dig up a stump by hand but thus could also be applied to transplanting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube Clip (showing recommended tools)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here