Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young Baobab help!

Posted by Greenish_Thumbs Illinois (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 11:10

I have a year-and-a-half-old Adansonia Digitata that I grew from seed. It has never gone dormant before, so when it started losing its leaves, I was not too worried, though I kept a close eye on it. I stopped watering it at the first signs of yellowing. All the leaves but three have fallen off, and the last three don't look like they have any plans to fall off soon. Did I misdiagnose the leaves falling off? Is this plant struggling to stay alive while I keep its soil bone dry? It's been weeks with only three otherwise healthy leaves. Should I continue to not water it, or am I safe giving it a little? Will it pull out of the half-dormancy it's in if I water it? I was really hoping to uproot it and hang it for a couple of months so that it can remain dormant until spring at least. I'm just not sure where to go from here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young Baobab help!

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 11:14

i would ask on the cactus / succulent forum, more adansonia growers over there. What is the mix it is planted in? I think they need something extremely gritty. It looks pretty good otherwise.

o

Thanks ,I didn't think about posting on a succulent forum. The mix it's in is about 50% succulent soil and 50% sand. It drains well and I've never had root rot to my knowledge. The thing actually flourished this past year. I had to cut it back substantially. Thanks for the advice. I'll post over by the cactus folks.

o

Can they be kept small for a long time? I guess bonsai is possible? I am asking questions instead of answering, but after seeing the big ones, it's hard to imagine them staying small.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here