Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j0nd03

Nyssa sylvatica 'Wildfire' ID questions

j0nd03
12 years ago

I purchased this tree from a local nursery that is known for selling mis-tagged trees. I bought this about a month or two ago long before bud break. As it has progressed, there has not been even a hint of red on any new growth. I called the nursery I purchased it from and they said the red only shows up after it gets hot for a while. I guess mid 80's for a couple of weeks don't count. But I don't believe their claim anyways. It is supposed to flush with red leaves I believe. To those who have experienced this cultivar, what say you?

If it is not 'Wildfire', how should I approach the nursery? The thing is, I am HAPPY just to have a blackgum growing without dieback. If I recall, toronado had a 'Wildfire' or 'Red Rage' that did fine the first year then had dieback the next spring. So, of course this is a concern. This tree was $40 for a 3 gallon and I bought a species Nyssa in a 5 gallon from them last year for $30 I think. I am thinking about just asking for the difference in price if I can prove to them it is not 'Wildfire'. I also suggested they re-tag the remaining inventory of the 'Wildfire' which is only 4 or 5 left (I'm sure they LOL'd me when I hung up).

{{gwi:334148}}
By jp_42_82 at 2012-03-28

{{gwi:334150}}
By jp_42_82 at 2012-03-28

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

is it warrantied??? if so.. ask them if they want it back ...

and take a credit for a new plant .. of your choice ...

most tend to be willing to part with another plant.. rather than money .. lol ..

and then answer why you continue to buy from someone you say is a :

local nursery that is known for selling mis-tagged trees.

ken

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Because they are the ONLY local nursery unfortunately. The only one with any sizable selection of trees anyways. They are also unwilling to put forth any effort to find BnB trees for me. For the last year, I have given nearly all of my tree buying purchases to two businesses in northwest AR which are very accomidating, about 1.5 hours away. Every now and then the local nursery gets something cool that warrants a purchase. This is the first possibly mistaken ID tree I have bought from them which would not have happened if I waited until it was leafed out. But then it would have lost valuable time putting roots down before summer.

As I said, I don't necessarily want to give it back because they are so hard to grow. And I am cautiously optimistic about dieback not occurring next spring.

I am planning a visit to the nursery sometime on a lunch break this week to check their remaining stock of 'Wildfire' and their coloration.

John

• arktrees
    12 years ago

John, I have to say that I don't believe that to be Wildfire. The intensity of the UV can certainly make a difference, but that is really pronounced. While at Crystal Bridges over the weekend, they have planted many Blackgum's labeled as "Wildfire", and all those trees had allot more color on the just emerging leaves. They were not a dark intense red, but they were a burgundy red color. Certainly not green like yours. Assuming I make it back to CB's this weekend, I will try to catch a pic or two for you. Even so, your pics match nothing for Wildfire on the web. Sorry I don't have a better POV in this instance. My significant other doesn't even want to stop at the nursery BTW, even to look at anything. She likes nothing about them.

Arktrees

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

Here is a picture of the opening leaves on my wildfire.

{{gwi:334152}}

The fella is pretty unique you would be able to see the difference.

I agree also with keeping yours. When I went shopping it was really for a regular Nyssa. This one just had good form so I got it. If it died back to the rootstock I would have left it in the ground.

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pic, toro! ;)

You know, that brings up another good point. There is no graft union. I wondered when I planted it if was a rooted cutting or another mis-tagged tree. I of course quickly shook off any thoughts of doubt in the excitement of planting the tree.

Ark, wish I had your SO's willpower! I have tried to stay away, but I pass it every day both to and from work!!! A junkie can only hold out so long, you see :*(

John

• arktrees
    12 years ago

toronado,
    Good to see your WF made it through without die back this year. How hard is it going to be to get it back to a single leader? It's sure looking good now.

John,
    Well we do have more choices, and truth be know, I only trust any of them so far. But that one in particular...... sometimes there is something (saw about a 2.5" caliper Paperbark the last time I was there with a sold tag), but you better know what your looking at should look like. I have told them flat out before that they had something mis-labeled.

Arktrees

• j0nd03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Have you began the pruning process yet, toro? I pruned the heck outta the seedling grown blackgum I planted two falls ago (it was fall '10 not last year as I mentioned earlier). It has also leafed out but near as much as the one I posted in this topic. No dieback this time, though.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

yeah, we had a warm winter for Zone 7 much less Zone 6 so there better be no dieback! That or it is more established.

I wanted to see what survived the winter before the pruning. Just the other day I was standing by it with the clippers and couldn't pull the trigger.