Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desirai_gw

Washington hawthorne

Desirai
10 years ago

I received a washington hawthorn cutting from my dad about 3 years ago. I planted it right in front of the house because I thought it was going to be a shrub, but it's almost 6 feet tall now....

Umm.. is there a way to keep it as a shrub?? I haven't pruned it at all because it seems every time I prune something it dies.

Comments (3)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Will grow much bigger than 6'. During a coming winter dig it up and put it in another spot, where it can develop and be enjoyed as an unconfined tree - do not start whacking it back, this will spoil it. In my area Washington hawthorn often produces an interesting branch pattern and loads of conspicuous fruits when happily situated.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Mine suckers like crazy and could easily be kept as a bush with semi annual pruning. If yours shows it wants to be a tree, do as bboy recommends and move it when it goes dormant this fall.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

...or chop it off right above ground level and it will become something more akin to a shrub. Trees don't always have to have their "natural form". Sometimes we modify them (think bonsai or topiary) to meet what we want them to be. That can be an uphill climb, in some cases, but if it's what you want, it's what you want. You could always grow another cutting if you decide you want a tree somewhere else.