Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
redwood roots persisting 15 years?

Posted by bebba1 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 11:39

Is it possible that I am still ripping up fine (1/16" - 1/8") redwood roots from my rose bed, 15 years after my neighbor finally cut it down and killed the stump? They are like the (horror!) redwood roots I struggled with for years, but smaller; same fine, hairlike roots branching from orange ones. But they are growing 1-3" from the surface, in places I dug up two years ago! can severed redwood roots live that long, and still put out new growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: redwood roots persisting 15 years?

No. Un less it's resprouted from the stump, there's nothing to provice food and keep the roots alive.

You are seeing some other plant's roots.

o

Keep in mind that a tree's roots usually grow far beyond its canopy. So you might consider other nearby trees. Rough estimates of the size or tree root systems include 1. a radius of at least 2 to 3 times the radius of the dripline and 2. a radius of 1.5 times the tree's height or more.

o

I am originally from the west coast near the red wood forest. Yes, a cut off root knot can produce new trees. In fact you can buy these knots from trees of mystery. If the roots you are speaking of are getting enough water to remain moist year round it will continue to grow in an effort to grow a tree again. My suggestion is to allow your rose bed to dry out a bit... or move them to a different location and allow the bed to dry out to hard earth state.

o

Sprouting a new tree is an entirely different thing than roots actively growing for 15 years without food!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here