Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bark-stripping mystery animal. What should I do? (with pictures)

Posted by viche 7a MD (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 11:49

Well actually the pictures are over in the Bird forum:

http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bird/msg031736163036.html?11584

I posted there, trying to figure out what type of animal had stripped the bark off 10 to 15 .5" to 1" diameter branches to build a nest in my 30+ ft little leaf linden.

In the end, we came down to two possibilities. The bark was either used by a Grey Squirrel to build a nest on the base of an old bird nest, or the bark was used as the inner lining of an American Crow's nest.

Either way, I was wondering what I should do. Do I need to remove the remainder of the nest to discourage further bark stripping? Should I try to get rid of the animal? Will just pruning those branches be enough? The tree is very dense and wouldn't suffer from pruning. It must have 500-1000 branches that size. It does suffer from aphids in the summer, which I've not gotten completely under control, but it seems otherwise very healthy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bark-stripping mystery animal. What should I do? (with pictur

Are you sure those weren't dead branches to begin with? From what I can see, the damage is not life threatening to the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your link

o

Looks very minor twig damage-dieback from here. Trees tolerate much worse than that.

Dan

o

I think the branches were alive. I don't know that I'd call them twigs. Some of them are up to 8 feet long. There are approximately 20 stripped branches now that I look. Also, the tree is more like 35 - 40 feet tall. I think it's 20 years old.

I agree that it shouldn't hurt the tree too much, but I'm jsut wondering what I should do.

Do I need to prune off all those branches? What a pain. I would definitely require a ladder or some tree climbing.

Would you guys try to reduce the chances that the animal will do this to another 20 branches next time? If so how?

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here