Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southwick7320_gw

Should I remove tree?

southwick7320
11 years ago

We have a very (3 + story) pear tree living between my house and my neighbors. I am currently looking to do some yard renovations, and am strongly considering removing the tree. During strong storms we have lost a few large branches onto the neighbors roof. I am worried about the tree breaking at some point and causing significant damage. Also I am looking at having sprinklers installed and this may be a difficult prospect with such a large tree in the mix. Finally I have a few foundation concerns for both me and the neighbors.

On that same note, this is Texas and I hate removing a large healthy tree. It does provide some shade during the middle of the day (then again its hard to get anything to grow near it).

So do I remove the tree?

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

yes

nothing good to say about the type of tree.. its location.. nor its future.

you are really stretching it.. to suggest it shades that 8 feet between the two house.. lol ...

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I feel your pain but I second Ken's opinion!
    Sara

• WxDano
    11 years ago

Remove it before it falls on something. These trees were an unfortunate fad. More and more cities have removed them from their lists.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Another vote for remove. And make sure you get someone with good expertise in removing trees from tight places - and check they've got full insurance, too.

'Fraid it'll be an expensive job.

Resin

• southwick7320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the advice, it helped me make my decision.
    Fortunately, we have a large oak in the back and another large tree in the front.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Wow, which cultivar is that? Never seen a tall one like that.

I agree with others, Cut it down before it splits in half and cause damage to the house.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Who in their right mind would have put that tree there?

Cut it down!

If you have a saw and are handy you could take it down pretty easily from the top to the bottom piece by piece.

• Tn_Tree_Man
    11 years ago

In a word: YES.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    11 years ago

Wow - how about a little toast to that tree's tenacity in thriving in that horrible location? ... before you cut it down :-)

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

Wow! Now that's a 'timber-type' pear!
    Boy, if there was an instrument-maker or wood-worker in the neighborhood, and you could have that sucker sawninto veneer-quality lumber, it'd possibly be worth something - but most timber-cutters wouldn't want to come within 20 miles of trying to extract that sucker from that spot.
    Looks like a job for an accomplished, bonded/insured arbor service - not just cuz'n Bubba with a chainsaw.

• southwick7320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate all the feedback!

We toasted the tree, and had it chopped down.

We miss the shade it gave some parts of the house, but will now have less to worry about, and some sunnier spots for a garden.