Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel845

Tree help please! :)

Rachel845
10 years ago

Hi!

I am looking for advice on a planting a new tree or trees on our "tree lawn" (the strip of lawn between the sidewalk and road.) I'd be incredibly grateful for any guidance!

Below is a list of things that would be ideal, but I can give up some of them if the other qualities fit the bill. Basically this is just a wish list.

Also, a little context. I live in the historic part of town in the Hudson Valley - NY, across from a large park that is only trees and a historic building. Our particular block has lost some of its trees over the past few years, and a lot of the trees being put in are smaller, fast growing, and though I'm happy to see them and to each his own, I think other verities would be more appropriate for the location.
You can see from the images attached our house and placement on the property is not completely symmetrical. Also, please note that they salt the streets here in the winter.

So not in any particular order, and none of them being deal breakers, this is what I'm hoping for some guidance on.

- Classic verity of tree. Like Maple or Oak. No little flowery trees.
- Higher canopy when grown (as to not block the view of the park)
- Yellow, orange, red foliage - preferred in that order (to complement the brick)
- If two trees could be planted on either side of where the walkway would continue if it went through the "tree lawn" that would be ideal (frame the walkway) - but I'm guessing with that limited space only one large tree would be appropriate.
- Will be able to withstand the street salt (I can take counter measures as necessary)
- Faster growing would be great.

Thank you so much for your time, and thank you for any advice provided!!

Rachel

This post was edited by Rachel845 on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 12:40

Comments (7)

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I would choose oak, other than Maple. Sugar Maple is the best of the Maples though. Sugar Maple usually is bright yellow/ orange in fall when you see pictures of fall foliage, but grow slower than most maples. But have stronger wood as a result of this slower growth. Rachel if you are zone 6 in the east and have neutral to acidic PH Pin oak gets russet red in fall. Willow oak gets yellow also. Red and Scarlet oak get red fall foliage. Scarlet is better than red oak for red fall color. Scarlet is slower growing in my yard than red oak. There are Nuttal's and Shumard red oaks, to confuse things further. The Nuttal's and Shumard may briefly show red but don't hold on to their foliage too long. If you can grow Pin oak they hold that scarlet/burgundy red for a long while. Scarlet oak is okay in slightly high PH soils, but the slow growth should be planned for, maybe put some short lived perennials to fill in for a couple years, til the Scar. Oak gets bigger. I am not sure about some oaks, my Chestnut oak (Quercus Montana/Prinus) they get yellow leaves in fall also, but it doesn't stick around long. Japanese maples have good fall color I hear. American Beech get a mix of yellowish copper in fall. Beech grows slow also. But they hold on to someyellow/tannish leaves til spring, very showy even though tannish. I guess if you have room, grow some maples, and when they croak, if you have some oaks and sugar maples, and don't forget the beech's, if you locate them right, once the short lived trees are gone the more long-lived trees will fill in. Just an idea. I am lazy sort of, I just plant the longer lived trees and they will fill in eventually. I am tempted with some Japanese Maples, but I need to wait til my trees get larger. Then the Japanese Maples can be planted further from my oak trees trunks, when the oaks have a larger canopy.

• Rachel845
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info!
    I was super excited to see you say oak at all. I love oak trees, but upon further investigation, do you think the canopy would be too big? If you look at the property layout you can see that the house is VERY close to the curb.

Also, which of the maples that you mentioned do you think is the most hardy?

Thanks again!

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Shantung Maple Acer truncatum is a small to medium sized maple that is often used as a street tree in it's native China. doesn't cause sidewalk damage, grows at a moderate rate, pH adaptable with nice fall color, and mature trees flower in early spring with multitudes of small yellow flowers that is very attractive in itself. A Shantung in flower very much reminds me of a Cornealian Cherry Cornus mas in flower.

Arktrees

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hey what's wrong with little flowery trees?? Haha

Sugar maples are gorgeous and hardy, but probably would not be happy sandwiched between pavement and they are not tolerant of salt.

• longtee81 (Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

Great suggestions above. One other tree that I would consider is a Ginkgo. Meets all of your criteria except the growing fast part. They take a while the first few years to get going. They are extremely tough and long lived and have the most beautiful yellow fall colors. There are many varieties out there but I am not familiar with them all.

I have attached a picture of a Ginko planted on the Michigan State Capitol grounds that was planted in 1912 to show what its mature form is like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginkgo Info

• poaky1
    10 years ago

. If the other side of the house, where the driveway is, is free of wires, maybe you can fit a larger tree. If the tree will eventually need butchered to stay within bounds, those Japanese maples will be a good idea. If you have 50 ft clearance on one side of your house and at least 35-40 on the other side from wires etc. You can get an oak. You will need to plant it with a good bit of distance on each side. I only see the wires on the left side. If it seems to small for a 65-70 ft canopy at maturity, go small. Lots of oaks get bigger in time but I would say 200-300 years after we all croak. Sorry for rambling on.........

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I'm new here - how did I not find the Tree forum? - and I'm no expert. But DH and I have planted 30+ trees on our city lot. We live in North Dakota, with heavy alkaline soil - Zone 3-4.

Our boulevard tree is a hackberry, and we love it. It did take a while to establish, but once it did, it took off. It started out pretty tall and narrow, but spread nicely after 10 years or so. It's yellow in the fall.

I see it's native to ND, so I don't know if you'll find it in NY - but if you do, it will be unique! It's considered to be a good replacement tree for American Elm.

Here is a link that might be useful: hackberry