Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune Crape Myrtle

Posted by gigim 8A (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 12:10

Just planted this semi dwarf Acoma crape myrtle. One fork of one of the main branches is rubbing against one of the other main branches, is it ok to prune now? Also, I have done alot of looking at how to prune a CM online but the question I have is WHEN. Can I "tidy" this one up now or should I wait until next year? I promise not to commit "crape murder" . Oh and BTW, it may not look like it but it IS planted 5 feet away from both walls in anticipation of a 10 foot spread. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune Crape Myrtle

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 14:01

Do it now.

o

5 feet from what the plant is now ... or on center ... it looks really jammed in there.. to me.. based solely on that pic ...

expose the root flares ... also ...

yes.. do it now.. do you know how??? if not.. ask

ken

o

'Acoma' has white flowers right? You made a great choice since the other colors would get lost against the red brick.
Now to answer your question, take a 24" stake and pound it in the ground at an angle. Run a line from the stake to the stem and pull it away so it doesn't rub, no pruning needed.

o

Ken- I figured a 10 foot spread meant 5 feet in all directions (like a circle around the tree, 5 feet out) I made sure there was 5 feet of open space in all directions from center (brick wall behind and lattice work on right). Isnt this correct? I know it does not look like it is that 5 feet away from the walls but it is, I promise.
Expose the root flares, got it. Will take care of that today. Will mulch soon - keep away from root flare as well?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here