Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain Ash in Zone 7A?

Posted by connietn 7 MidTN (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 12:20

Just wondered if anyone has had luck with Mountain Ash in TN (or thereabouts) Zone 7A.

I became enthralled with photos of Pink Pagoda Mountain Ash about a year ago. Husband ordered one for me from Forest Farm for my birthday this year (February). Yay hubby!

After I received it, I looked it up in Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, and according to him, no promises that it will thrive in our climate. I have it planted where it will get partial sun, and plan on making sure it is well-watered this year.

Just wondered if any of you could give me a little glimmer of hope. :)
I would sure love for it to make it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain Ash in Zone 7A?

Not familiar with that cultivar, Connie, but in general, I always have thought of mountain ash as a tree that needs good drainage. Here we see them growing out of cracks in limestone rock ledges.

So anyway, good luck, and hopefully, you have it in well-drained soil.

+oM

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 19:28

That one was selected in Vancouver, Canada from an Asian species. Borers and fire blight make mountain ash trees have much less potential back there then they offer here in the coastal Northwest. The Seattle arboretum has an entire collection of them, with diverse growth habits, leaf shapes and fruit colors. Nevertheless, the only one that has become prevalent outside of such displays is European mountain ash. It even comes up as a weed here.

o

Yeah, we see volunteer Europeans here. Actually, more prevalent than the native americana. They do just fine here, but at best are a short-lived thing. I got around twenty years out of a nice European in my front yard.

+oM

o

I saw a European at Home Depot this morning. I'd never noticed them selling an Ash (but maybe I just wasn't paying attention because it wasn't something that interested me at the time).

o

Connie, "mountain ash" is not an ash. It's not closely related but simply has that word as part of its name. It's in the rose family as are many fruit trees and a lot of other plants too.

+oM

o

Last year the local Lowes had Cardinal Royal TM mountain ash in 15 gallon pots. If it were not for the the poor shape of the trees, I would have bought one. The local Lowes or HD (can't remember for sure) also has green ash Fraxinus pennsylvanica in stock now, too.

John

o

when i was looking for trees to garden under .. i was told to stay away from these ...

as extremely surface rooted.. to the detriment of everything near them.

as well as the bazillion of seedlings

and the fact that every insult to the surface roots ... will sprout.. to the point where you can barely walk under them without shoes on .. over the decades ..

they are a brilliant tree to view on someone elses lawn.. lol ...

define what you want from the tree .. before you pick the tree.. do you have any inclination to garden under or near it???

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here