Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia Tree Looking Sick

Posted by carbos FL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 12:36

I'm in the Fort Lauderdale, FL area. About one year ago I planted a Teddy Bear magnolia. It was about 3 feel tall, maybe a little less. It seemed to be doing fine until a few months ago when I noticed many of the leaves starting to looking burned, or having some sort of fungus.
During the summer I fed it with some all purpose tree and shrub fertilizer. Haven't fed the tree in months, however.
Can someone take a look at the photos and offer their opinion and any advice? Much appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia Tree Looking Sick

That's sunburn. perhaps rig temporary shade while it's establishing a sturdy root system.

o

Sunburn? I'm surprised to read that. I was told to plant the tree in full sunlight.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 22:05

Here, at this time of the year it would be cold damage.

o

the recent transplant offsets any claims of a plants ability to survive in full sun ... perhaps it could have been avoided with deep proper watering all winter ...

it looks exactly like my evergreen rhodies ... after a MI winter ... and most of the affected leaves fall off soon enough ... no evergreen holds it leaves forever ...

i never feed my trees and shrubs ... perhaps a call to your county extension office ... will get you some general information about your FL soil ... and the need to do so.. but do understand.. they are not children.. that need a lot of food ...

it may also be a planting issue ... if you planted it with a big gob of potting media.. in what i think of FL soil.. as basically sand ... hard to tell on that ...

see link for general planting and watering care.. perhaps including fert .... though it isnt specific to FL .. the key is to water it.. when it needs it.. and to learn how to find out when it does ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Looks better than my evergreen Magnolia, mine has all brown leaves, but the buds are good on mine, I'll get all new leaves, you will likely get new leaves and a lot of new growth, enough to make you not even notice if those leaves stay like they are now anyway.

o

A woody plant needs at least 2 years of supplemental irrigation to develop a sturdy root system.

In the meantime, roots may not be able to maintain an adequately moisture level in the leaves, particularly on especially bright sunny days.

o

Sounds like I need to increase watering. I'll give that a try and see if there is any improvement. Thank you.

o

increase watering. I'll give that a try and see if there is any improvement.

==>>> i dont know what you expect to see .. those leaves will never improve.. the only improvement.. will be when they fall off ..

i gave you a link above.. study it in regard to watering... this isnt a shoot it with the pistol grip hose end sprayer thing ... deep watering.. thru the root mass planted .. etc .. and its not a schedule thing.. insert finger.. and find out how moist the soil is ... this is very important.. when the heat of summer hits .. and in winter.. for you ...

good luck.. and you are welcome ...

ken

o

You don't say what conditions the magnolia was in while at the nursery. It could have been shaded -- maybe for a whole year. Or you planted it in an orientation other than what it was used to.

You have intense sun down there. But likely the new leaves it puts out should be able to handle the exposure, provided it has enough water.

I saw a great video that explained even a transplanted Saguaro cactus needs to be oriented to the sun the same way it was prior to being dug up. Otherwise they'll sun burn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here