Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcadem

anybody having problems with Black Walnut toxicity to other plan?

lcadem
12 years ago

Hello

my new property has a big (~50ft) black walnut. Has anybody observed problems caused by its toxicity to other plants, especially trees? I am planning to plant a couple of horse chestnuts, beeches and a zelkova close to it and I was wondering if this is going to be a problem...

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

define close to it and how big is your property??

are we talking a 50 foot by 50 foot urban yard.. ????

as in under the canopy???

we need some more facts ...

ken

• lcadem
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Ken, sorry for not being more specific.

The walnut is 24 feet from the house, and I plan to plant
    a) a deodara karl fuchs at ~23 feet
    b) a group of 3 horse chestnut wisselink at 24 feet or more
    c) a zelkova carpinifolia at 41 feet
    d) a fagus sylvatica tricolor at 55 feet.
    e) a vegetable garden at 40 feet
    f) a korean maple at 23 feet
    g) a kentucky coffeetree at 67 feet

The crown of the black walnut has a *radius* of approximately 18 feet

The property is a rectangular 3 acre lot. The house and the walnut are approximately in the center of it.

My wife is especially concerned about the vegetable garden

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

I bet there are half a dozen black walnut in a grove on or near my 1.2 acres.

Just do a google search for juglone toxicity and compare lists.

I will vouch for redbud, silver maple, sugar maple, peach, honeysuckle, white ash, box elder, burning bushes, some terrible grape vines and a few other things as junglone tolerant at least in my and my neighbor's yards.

12 years ago

at those distances.. Me Thinks You Doth Protest Too Much.

just make yourself happy.. do it.. and dont worry about it ...

now if you were within the canopy.. where nuts and leaves fall.. i might consider such .. but i would still ignore it all.. and plant things there.. and see how it all worked out for me...

be your inner optimist .. wing it.. lol

do you need brandons bible of how to plant trees????

ken

ps: get her a load of good compost for the veggie garden .. and that has nothing to do with the walnut ...

• conniemcghee
    12 years ago

I also think you'll be fine at those distances. For what it's worth, we had a Black Walnut in the front yard. Had it removed a couple of years ago, but so far I haven't lost anything near that spot (before or after it was removed). I don't do veggies, though, so some of those may be more sensitive. But again, at 40 feet, seems like you'll be OK.

I guess it's a matter of taste and maybe climate, but I really disliked our Black Walnut. It tended to drop all its leaves starting in July into August. I don't eat Black Walnuts, and also didn't like trying to keep them picked up from the yard and street.

• lcadem
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken

I will take any bible you can throw at me :-)
    Never heard of brandons though.

Best

12 years ago

all of our usual planting recommendations are encapsulated at the link ...

do you have clay soil ... read those parts very carefully ...

have you considered getting rid of the walnut???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• lcadem
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Ken

I don't know what kind of soil I have. I am in central Iowa.
    The walnut is the second largest plant on the property - taking it down would really make it feel bare... and I like walnuts

12 years ago

grab shovel.. insert blade down.. step on it.. and flip it over..

its either sand.. clay.. or something good ... lol ... beyond that.. it does not matter ... [i am simply blanking on the third type .. lol]

come back often.. snap pix.. etc..

good luck and you are welcome

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: there you go.. loam

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

I can see where black walnuts are a take it or leave it tree. In most suburban lots I just would not plant one. They grow tall and wide. Some stuff does not grow around them. They drop bombs on whatever is under them. The leaves fall off at the end of August.

BUT on the other hand in a large yard where you won't park your classic oldsmobile under the tree, the branching structure can't be beat.

• lcadem
    Original Author
    12 years ago

for those of you interested in seeing the object of contention...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Black Walnut in my yard

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Beautiful sillouette. BW is a great tree, just not in the urban landscape. Although, after dealing with it for so long, I would miss my neighbors if it were gone...but not the dropping catkins in Spring...or the nuts in early September...or the leaves in late September...or the leaf stems in October...or dead branches all year.

Of the limited trees I've tried under my neighbor's BW, Viburnum cassinoides did not fare too well. Other viburnums did fine, however. Unfortunately I have no experience with the trees you've mentioned.

tj

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

I know tomatos aren't worth a darn under them! Comments to the effect that BWs are great, just not in 'my yard' are in line with my view. My son has a big one in his Milwaukee backyard. What a mess! Plus, it's tucked in with a good-sized silver maple and an enormous cottonwood! What an unholy trio. But both collectively and individually, these three trees add a lot to his yard in aesthetics and just allowing a bit of nature into the city.

Would I intentionally plant a black walnut? No, probably not. But where they already exist, they are impressive trees.

+oM

• bengz6westmd
    12 years ago

lcadem, that's a beautiful BW. I understood they often look bad in late summer, but being surrounded by them on adjacent properties, I notice that some yrs w/dry late summers, the anthracnose doesn't develop & they actually put on a decent, solid yellow show in the autumn, like last yr. Worth keeping & preserving IMO.