Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant a section of Palo Verde root?

Posted by phxphun Phoenix Arizona Zone (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 14:22

This Palo Verde in my yard appears to have grown branches from an exposed section of one of its larger roots about 5 feet away from the main tree trunk. I want to remove the 'extra tree', but I'm wondering if it would be worth my time to try to transplant the growth elsewhere in the yard. If I cut out this section of root and replant it, is it likely to survive?

Also, if anyone knows the specific name of this type of Palo Verde, please let me know. (I posted a larger photo of the parent tree over in the tree gallery). Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Branches growing from exposed tree root

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant a section of Palo Verde root?

I'm assuming the suckers are all the palo verde trunks in the picture. That looks like an awful lot of tree and an awfully big root to try to move. If you had a smaller sucker, not more than a few feet high with a much smaller root I think you could sever the root between the sucker and the main tree, then take as much of the root going the other way and move it and probably have pretty fair luck. Also probably best to make this move in the fall and give it a bit extra water to help the roots get established before the next summer. It seems to me that I have seen these trees sucker where roots are very near or above the surface and maybe suffer some damage such as some cut bark or such that stimulates new growth.

Your palo verdes should be getting absolutely gorgeous in a few weeks. Wish I could get down there over the next few weeks when they are blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here