Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rogerzone6

Stewartia Monodelpha

rogerzone6
11 years ago

Hi, first time posting however long time lurker. I have a Stewartia Pseudocamellia in my front yard facing North that has been doing well since it was planted 4 years ago. Now I am looking to do a Monodelpha. It would be on the West side, facing North in full sun. Anyone have any experience with this cultivar in Zone 6A? I see conflicting information wether it is hardy to Zone 6 or 7. Also anyone know of a good source for it? Mailorder or otherwise. Rarefind has a 3-4 ft plant for $55 plus shipping. I didnt want to spend a lot without knowing its hardiness. Thanks

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Camellia Forest Nursery (excellent Garden Watchdog rating), ForestFarm (very good / excellent Garden Watchdog rating), and Gossler Farms Nursery (good Garden Watchdog rating), as well as RareFind Nursery (excellent Garden Watchdog rating), offer this plant. Most do use the spelling "Stewartia Monadelpha", which appears to be the more accepted (and probably correct?) spelling, so, if you are looking for this plant, try that spelling. Both spellings seem to be used by reputable sources.

There are many wholesalers for this species, so you may be able to obtain it through your local higher-end nursery, but I'll bet they'll have to order it.

• nandina
    11 years ago

This is the only member of the Stewartia family I have not grown but checked my favorite references which indicate it should survive Zone 6A. You do know that they thrive in damp situations and are a useful tree for the edge of rain garden plantings or in areas where springs are close to the ground surface.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

what they said..

but how i read it all ... is that you are playing the ZONE PUSHING GAME ...

and when you are playing on the edge of the micro climate in your little garden of eden ... i doubt you will ever find anyone who has gardened in your yard.. and can answer your question with certitude ...

IF you want to try it.. you are going to have to be fully aware.. that you could lose your investment ...

and based on that.. i quit playing the game .. for the most part ...

so either ante up.. or get out of the game ... [of which, as i said.. i usually defer to the latter ...]

just thought this needed to be said so you go into it all.. eyes wide open ...

good luck

ken

• rogerzone6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all, decided to go with a Pekin Lilac. It went in today. Still not giving up on the Stewartia. As is obvious I am a bark kind of guy.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

These are definite trees, needing a tree-sized space in time.

• treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNY
    11 years ago

I decided to try a S. monadelpha this spring. Purchased from Greer Gardens, 2-3' plant for $19.95 plus shipping. I have a S. sinensis that just went through its first winter. I'm holding my breath to see whether or not there was any winter damage. I, too, love the unique bark plants.

• rogerzone6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Bboy, we are on 2 1/2 acres. I know hard to believe in NJ. I put in 2 Dynamite Crepes that are also borderline but have been through a couple of winters, admitedly mild ones, so heres hoping. Also being box store crepes, the investment for far less.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

We eat crepes every once in a while. One day, I'm gonna have to try one, while under a crape myrtle.

• neonrider
    10 years ago

Try Pseudocydonia sinensis.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022