Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning

Posted by jeeper55 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 14:40

I have A crape Myrtle tree about 25 feet tall, i need to take about half of it off or take the whole tree out, any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning

yes.. i have a suggestion ...

lets see a picture ...

i dont think anyone here advocates .. nor agrees with topping trees ... and removing the top half of a tree is such ...

what i dont know.. is if a CM can be cut to the ground.. and rejuvenated ....

in other words.. maybe there is another option ...

ken

o

You'd probably be better off removing it completely (be sure to kill the roots, to avoid a massive amount of root suckers, if you choose to do this) and replacing it with something more appropriate to the space. There are many crape myrtles, for instance, that stay smaller, at least for a long time.

Alternately, you could try to perform "proper" reduction cuts, if there is sufficient branching at lower levels. One downside to doing this is that you will have to maintain a regular pruning schedule, because the tree is going to want to regrow to it's natural height. You may also have a problem with lots of root suckers appearing in response to significant pruning. Reduction cuts (rather than the crape-murder type heading cuts) will somewhat reduce chances of rot but certainly don't eliminate the possibility.

A third option is to cut the tree down to just above ground level and allow it to resprout. If you do that, you'll be faced with frequent sucker removal (if you want to limit the amount of trunks) for at least a couple of years AND the ongoing need for close attention to pruning. Another disadvantage of this method is the likelihood of long floppy trunks, due to the rapid regrowth following coppicing. You'd probably need to stake or tie the trunks for at least the first couple of years.

Removal/replacement is probably the less labor-intensive option.

o

First i will try to get a picture on here when the weather changes. It is my fault for under estimating the size and height of it. i didn't mention it also only blooms sparingly on the top limbs. i know if i take it out i am going to miss the shade, it on the south side next to my deck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here