Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddiem_gw

two colored palo verde

eddiem
16 years ago

I have a Palo Verde that split off into two different colored trunks, one is a red/purple with lots of thorns the other is normal in color I will post a link to an image of the tree.

all the branches on the one side are the same red/purple color

{{gwi:335350}}

Has anyone seen this before?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:335350}}

Comments (6)

• stalks_05
    16 years ago

Palo Verde means "green stick" Google

• Dibbit
    16 years ago

Weird. I have been waiting to see what others have to say, but it seems they are baffled as well. Are the leaves on the two trunks different in shape or size - I assume the color is different?

Have you sent/taken a photo to your county Extension agent, or to a good nurseryman? The State University should have an urban forestry,/horticultural/forestry dep't that might help. And if your city has an urban forester, he/she might be able to help.

Hope you can find out what caused it. Who knows, maybe you will have "found" a new cultivar of Palo Verde - what's the Spanish for Purple Stick? With the current rage for purple/red-leaf trees and shrubs, it might be commercially viable.

• buckeyelassie
    15 years ago

I live in Buckeye, AZ. Last week, end of Aug 2008, we had a short wind storm with some rain. The following day my big beautiful Palo Verde dropped all leaves. The leaves were a rich green and as I watched them drop during the day the ground beneath them looked like a lawn. It was planted four months ago from a 36" pot. I visited the nursery that planted the tree, they came out and said I over watered it. This confused me since I have had it on the same water schedule, 2 times a week on a slow drip until I see water on the surface of the tree round. I immediately stopped watering. I did water it two days ago with the same method I used in the past. I have new growth on the tree but the color seems to be a much lighter green than the new growth that appeared last May. Did this ever happen to anyone with a Palo Verde? Any ideas on what really happened to this beauty of a tree. I would post B4/after pics but I am new and don't know how. Thanks.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

First query (pic in the first post) I'd guess it is a grafted plant and the rootstock has not been pruned off as it usually would be.

Today's query - the leaves are normally deciduous anyway. I'd not worry too much if they dropped a little early. As long as the twigs still green it should be OK.

Resin

• Beeone
    15 years ago

Buckeye: Paloverde grow wild in your area, though it generally prefers areas near washes or depressions where it will accumulate a little more than just the natural rainfall. Once established, the natural rainfall is generally adequate. Some supplemental water while the tree establishes in its new home won't hurt, but a frequent watering schedule is way more than it needs. If it is near a lawn or something else that receives regular water, you can probably not water it at all after the first year, and no water during your rainy season.

They will normally drop their leaves in the fall anyway, but the branches will remain green throughout the winter. Leaves will come out again in the spring, and you will get a beautiful display of yellow flowers in April.

• Mellowbro
    10 years ago

I have a mexican palo verde in my backyard that the trunk and branches are the same dark red or purple. I'm very confused by this.