Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clancy87_gw

where to buy japanese maple seedlings and seeds

clancy87
10 years ago

I have been trying to source a place where I can get hold of Japanese maples seed and seedlings. I try collect seeds in some of my customers gardens but it's only ever blood goods. Nurserys here aint so good either they have them imported from Holland and it's only ever your common katsura, blood good, garnets and emerald lace. I want to grow more of the rarer kind like red dragons and Beni maikos. Im in Scotland and I know most on here are from America, so places online would help too if there reliable.

Thanks for any suggestions

Comments (4)

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

I know of two American seed sources but both should ship to Scotland:

F. W. Schumacher, in Massachusetts
    Sheffield's Seeds in New York

Both sell some seeds - Sheffield's in particular has a wide selection, but some seeds are "dry" and some "fresh" - dry seeds need a long time to germinate, usually some combo of warm and cold stratification (ask over at the Maples forum) but fresh seed often germinates just after a cold stratification. This isn't the best time of year by the way, I'd be asking around Oct/Nov.

I bought some A. palmatum seed that is in stratification now (from Sheffield's) that is starting to show some signs of germination. The variety is a green-leaved cultivar but I don't recall which at the moment. They have quite a few to choose from.

I don't know as much about Schumacher's maple seeds (I've bought oak acorns from them, however, as well as some conifers) but A. palmatum (several variants) and A. japonicum are listed on their website.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

First, it is important that you understand that named forms of Japanese maples cannot be grown from seed - even though you may collect seeds from a 'Bloodgood', the sprouted seed cannot be considered to be a true Bloodgood, only just a generic Acer palmatum. Named cultivars of Japanese maples are ONLY propagated asexually - by cutting or grafting - never by seed. Anyone who is attempting to sell you "bloodgood seeds" or "crimson queen seeds" is just pulling a fast one. Seeds gathered from these trees and germinated may indeed look like the parent plant but they just as easily might not. In fact they can look totally different as far as leaf color, leaf size, amount of dissection and even growth habit is concerned.

So sorry, no such thing as a seed grown 'Bloodgood' or 'Sango Kaku' or 'Beni Maiko', etc. despite what may be advertised. It just is not done.

It is possible to purchase grafted seedlings that should be true to name, provided they are being offered by a reputable source. One can also purchase named cultivars of scion wood which can then be grafted by you to other JM rootstock. Not sure about availability of these in EU or the ability to transport from here to UK - it is much easier to import/export seeds than it is live plant material.

• jbraun_gw
    10 years ago

I have a seedling from Sango Kaku that I had hoped would run true since there weren't any other Maples within 1/4 mile. This is the 4th year and it is NOT nice and orange on the bark. That's why people spend lots of money on named cultivars.

• clancy87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hairmetal: thanks for the suggestions i will have a look and see.

Gardengal: Thanks for remembering me i complete forgot about having to graft to get a named cultivar rather than growing from seed, Im still a beginner but will look into learning how to graft as i have got really nice semi mature JM's i could use on the seedlings im growing which i will just use as root-stock probably. Its really enjoy watching them grow and its a sense of achievement but graftings the way as you said. Can i just ask what is scion wood. ?

Jbraun: Thanks i have 50 growing just now only about and loads n the stratification process. Your right, well if i can do a graft successfully. I will just need to get cultivars and cannibalise them as im going to have loads of seedlings haha.

Thanks for all your responses use were very helpful.