Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Tibouchina' Rescue

Posted by kaylanw Florida - 9B (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 15:12

I purchased a tibouchina tree from Old Time Pottery about 5 days ago. It was discounted to $1 and was clearly very dried out, as were most of their plants. I am new to gardening and decided to buy it to see if I could save it. When I researched tibouchinas I got really excited because they look so beautiful but I'm not sure what my next steps should be. The soil was completely dried out so Wednesday night I watered it until water ran out the drain holes. I repeated this on Thursday night. It has since retained its water the soil is moist but not too soggy. I have it placed to the side of an east-facing window so that it gets some light but not an overwhelming amount. My concern is that it still looks very "dusty"/muted in color. Since I bought it, there are several buds that look to me like they are ready to emerge but there has been no blooming yet. I guess my main question is should I wait and see if it blooms or should I prune it back so that new growth/buds will grow. Thanks for any information you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Tibouchina' Rescue

at this point...

you wait an see if it buds out ...

do NOT fertilize it.. it is not hungry.. it is stressed ...

keep it properly watered.. dont drown it with too much love ...

in a few months.. if it leafs out .... then we can prune off dead stuff ...

by fall we might be able to start some training via pruning.. to get it back in shape ..

and i highly recommend that you get a good plant to learn with [any type] .... i always want to encourage peeps new to gardening.. and get frustrated when they start with some project.. that most of us would not try ... since the odds are so against us ...

just remember.. unlike a lot of houseplants.. trees do not like to be heavily watered ... but for sure.. never as dry as you found it ... tree roots rot when kept too damp ....

the odds are low.. but dont give up.. if you fail ... but do try some easier stuff ...

good luck

ken

o
RE: 'Tibouchina' Rescue

Thanks for the info & encouragement, Ken. I have purchased and been gifted several other plants that are in good shape, I guess I just felt up for a challenge with this one and couldn't pass it by for $1. I'm not the most patient person by nature, so that's the hard part :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here