Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red fox katsura

Posted by jayhawkfan56 5b/6a KS (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 15:16

Anybody have a red fox katsura (rotfuchs) or experience with them? Local nursery seems to only be able to get this variety as opposed to species. Do the reddish leaves eventually turn green or stay red throughout the summer? Can't seem to find a solid answer.
Height/habit compared to species?
Thanks folks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red fox katsura

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 16:18

Sup Bracket Buster,

All the plants I've seen have very crumby upright habits with branches crossing every which way. The color fades by early summer, perhaps quicker in KS.

I find that both my species plants have purple foliage (close to the intensity of Rotfuchs) but it does fades once it matures in late spring.

IMO, Rotfuchs is a junk cultivar. Pick a species plant that speaks to you. I have one that is a nice open vase form and another that is a somewhat upright globe.

o

Not sure I'd agree with above :-) Depends on the effect you are looking for. For a smallish tree with a relatively narrow habit and interesting foliar effect, not a bad choice. In my climate the deep purple-red holds well into summer and even then the foliage has a bit of a purplish cast. And very nice fall color - more varied than the straight species.

But If you are NOT on the look out for reddish foliage on a smallish, narrow little tree, then by all means go for the species - majestic trees in time with handsome, almost fool-proof foliage.

o

I agree with gardengal. I like mine. It fades by mid-summer but if I gave it afternoon shade I bet it wouldn't.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 11:40

Ladies, I want to see late spring pics that are time stamped, lol.
Upclose and of the entire plant.

If you want a narrow Katsura I can see the draw, beyond that I'm not sold!

o

We have a couple Red Fox planted in the same subdivision with regular Katsuras. Red Fox leaf color does fade in summer, but remains noticeably darker (w/ "purplish cast") than the other Katsuras. As others have said, as a young tree the habit is more upright, and the ultimate size probably somewhat smaller than regular Katsura. Both Red Fox and straight Katsura are prone to marginal leaf browning during prolonged hot/dry conditions. Will perform best where they have consistent moisture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here