Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digging out root flares exposes roots. What to do?

Posted by jowall Z6 Nashville TN (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 15:20

So I discovered that most of my trees (red maple, sycamores, sweet gums, lacebark elms) had been planted too deep. They were planted above soil level but the mounding of the dirt around them had put some of the root flares as much as 4 or 5 inches under soil.

So I've been working (as delicately as I can) to dig them out and level the soil around them. So far so good but as I'm doing it I'm exposing tons of little roots. What do I do? Do I just leave them exposed?

Also I've uncovered some roots that will become stem girdling in a few years. I want to cut those out. Is this a good time of year to do this? The red maple is starting to bud out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging out root flares exposes roots. What to do?

Definitely remove the exposed roots, and, if it's practical to do so, leave the fresh cuts exposed for a little while. If you cover them with dirt, there is a little bit more chance of pathogens entering through those cuts.

This is a spectacular time to prune the roots that need to be pruned. Doing it now will minimize the time it takes the tree to seal back over the cuts.

I can't tell much from the picture, especially since it is appearing upside down. I tried looking at it by turning my head as much as I could without suspending myself from the ceiling, but that didn't really help. From your written descriptions though, it sounds like you are right on track.

o

I agree with brandon. Do what you need to do, and don't look back. It is better to make these changes now than later. Just keep a watch on them over the summer. You may need to increase water at some point.

Arktrees

o

Green side up!

You won't hurt that red maple at all. This species grows annual feeder roots like this into mulch layers as a matter of course.

Prune off, mulch, and go on. Your trees thank you.

o

To make the photo appear right side up, just double click on it.

Those are adventitious roots that can be safely cut away at any time. You need to expose the flare and the first structural roots. Those adventitious roots only grew because the tree ended up with too much soil piled up around the trunk, unfortunately a common phenomenon with woody plants coming from many of even the most highly regarded growers. It is not uncommon for me to have to excavate 2-3" away from a tree when I plant it. A hori hori knife is a girl's best friend.

o

Double clicking is so much easier than suspending oneself upside down for the ceiling!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here