Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify this tree..

Posted by bloobeari 9b/10a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 15:23

Hi. My neighbor has this tree. She said she bought it in Miami at some exotic/tropical nursery. Does anyone know what it is? I've come across it in the past, but neglected to take note of the name, and now I have spent countless hours online trying to identify it, to no avail. We are in central Florida, on the east coast. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify this tree..

Here is another close-up of the leaves

o

why did she top it???

i am not familiar with FL stuff..

but liquidamber has those type of star shaped leaves ... but i have no clue if anything in that family grows in FL ...

why did she top it??? how can it be that short.. with that big a trunk?????

ken

o

Hi Ken,

Actually, it is not topped. The trunk is kinda fat and then it tapers. The photo shows it a bit better. The trunk is about 20 ft high. I will look up liquidamber to see which zones it grows in. Thanks for the suggestion...

o

I'm pretty sure that's a Baobab tree. I've never seen one in person but the leaves and the trunk shape match what I saw on google.

o

I have a liquidamber and the leaves are more maple-star shaped rather than oleander-star shaped like your tree. Is there any root flare at all at the base? Hard to tell with the sideways picture.

o

Hi jbraun,

It might be in the same family but I know it's not a boabab only because my family actually has those in pots here in Florida (we're from South Africa and we like our boababs :-) ). You know how boababs are also called the upside down tree because the foilage looks like roots. But the leaves are a little fatter and there aren't branches all along the trunk. But there is a similarity so I can see why you'd guess that. Thanks for trying to help out.

I remember when I came across it one time it only gave the latin name. I'm pretty good remembering common names but the latin didn't stick :-(

o

Hi ghostlyvision,

I didn't see any rootflare ( I'm assuming root flare refers to when the trunk diameter increases at the bottom of the tree. Is that correct?). This tree sticks straight up. Very unusual.

o

I think I figured it out. It's a Brachychiton rupestris, also called an Australian Bottle Tree. I still need to confirm but it sure looks like it. Thanks to everyone trying to help out.

o

Oh wow, I guess there wouldn't be a traditional root flare on that tree. The google image pics are really something, what a cool-looking tree!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here