Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Tree

Posted by kferriere none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 15:39

We moved in to a new house a few months ago and there is a tree that we don't recognize in the backyard. It's been trimmed very aggressively and I don't know if it's sick or if is supposed to grow this way.

Any ideas? I'm in the East Bay, in Northern California.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Tree

I can't tell what it is but it looks like crap mainly because they topped it and it's not responding very well. I would take it out. You can do much better.

o

Probably an ash Fraxinus. Ditto to remove that truly dreadful hatrack job.

Resin

o

If karma catches up with whoever did that, they're in for some real pain!

o

I'm going to have a professional take a look at it. I wish I would have asked the previous owners why they had it cut like this. It's really a shame.

Thanks.

o

"I wish I would have asked the previous owners why they had it cut like this."

I can tell you with certainty, but they might not be able to. They did it because they didn't have a clue as to what they were doing.

o

Agree with Resin on the Fraxinus. And with everyone else on the butchery.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 22:44

Since the pruning is uneven it might have been damaged by drought, pathogens or pests before being cut back, in response to the damage.

o

Sigh....my next door neighbor did this with a row of birch and liquidambers. Painful...

Concur that you should take it out, sorry.

o

Do not worry what kind of tree this is. Hurry and put it out of its misery and grind out the trunk also.

o

I am partial to these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Art

o

I'm going to have a professional take a look at it.

==>> very frankly.. thats a waste of money.. presuming you would have to pay for such

hire an INSURED guy with a chainsaw .... and get rid of it ... get 3 estimates.. and insist on INSURANCE .... [BTW.. thats 3 FREE opinions.. lol] ....

they did that.. because it was improperly planted.. too close to the house.. and was probably dropping large dead branches on the house ... what more do you need to know ...

be done with it ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here