Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sebastian_gw

What is. It?

sebastian
12 years ago

My sister has what appears to be a decidious tree. Very tall pole trunk, green and same diameter all the way up. Leaves are large medium green.

Sorry, no pic. What is it?

Barbie

Comments (15)

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Sorry, that really is a tiny amount of detail.

You might try indicating:

a) where your sister lives
    b) the shape of the leaves
    c) any description of flowers or fruit

• arktrees
    12 years ago

It's a plant with a very tall pole trunk, green and same diameter all the way up, and has that are large medium green. See how helpful that was....... This is to make the point being, you told us nothing useful, just I have told you nothing useful using your own words. Your going to have to have ALLOT more information AND a good picture or two if you want a real answer. Either that, of go get a "psychic" to tell you. Sorry to be harsh, but that is what you asking for from the people here.

Arktrees

• arktrees
    12 years ago

It's a plant with a very tall pole trunk, green and same diameter all the way up, and has leaves that are large medium green. See how helpful that was....... This is to make the point being, you told us nothing useful, just I have told you nothing useful using your own words. Your going to have to have ALLOT more information AND a good picture or two if you want a real answer. Either that, of go get a "psychic" to tell you. Sorry to be harsh, but that is what you asking for from the people here.

Arktrees

• sebastian
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Georgia. I was only hoping for a few suggestions. Since I've never seen one, I did not know pole type trees were that common, other than the pine. I'll keep researching.
    Barbie

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I'll guess Lombardy poplar.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

what is a pole type tree ...

isnt a single trunk .. with a raised canopy.. more of a pruning issue.. rather than a variable for ID ...

sab needs to define what he means by such

w/o a pole.. aka trunk .. its a shrub ....

ken

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

I'm guessing it's a Tulip Tree. We really need more detail. Describing a tree's leaves as green and medium-sized is really vague.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

I'm guessing that she means an excurrent/columnar tree. That narrows it down to only hundreds of possibilities! Lombardy poplar was a good guess.

• jeff_al
    12 years ago

i'll guess firmiana simplex, the chinese parasol tree, from the "green bark" and "large leaves" characteristics.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

I'd guess a columnar apple - virtually no branching and very little difference in trunk diameter from top to bottom. But not necessarily what I'd consider a "very tall" pole tree :-)

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Liquidambar styraciflua, isn't it obvious? They can grow very very tall while maintaining minimal taper in the trunk. Although I would think star shaped leaves and spike balls would have also been included in the description.

John

• sam_md
    12 years ago

Barbie's tree is Loblolly Pine, only instead of needles it has large medium green leaves. I've seen thousands of them. :)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Barbie, the trunk is green, right? If you would like more help, please let us know where this tree lives (the state), and anything you might be able to tell us about the shape of the leaves. How tall is it?

If I were to 'guess', I'd go with Jeff, Firmiana simplex.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Firmiana simplex was also what came to mind, for me, when I first read the post, but for no particular reason...it could be just about anything.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Barbie, I hope you didn't let arktree's rudeness chase you away! Most of us like a good mystery and don't mind fishing for information from someone who posts a question.