Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering understory tree ID

Posted by j0nd03 7b AR (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 16:22

The usually reliable name that plant forum hasn't hit on this one yet so imma post it here.

This little tree was scattered throughout the understory of the park I was in. I initially thought they were planted by people but I saw them at another park today and then all over town while cruising the hoods. They are extremely fragrant. I could smell them ~30' away! I thought they are some type of serviceberry. Malus has been suggested and may be more likely. I did see serviceberry trees in bloom today as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering understory tree ID

Prunus, propably in the "padus" subgenus. p. serotina or p. virginiana maybe?

This post was edited by Huggorm on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 18:03

o

Definitely not serotina. I'll look up the other one when I get home :-)

Edit: Not virginiana either

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 19:11

o

Prunus Americana , American Wild Plum

o

Prunus americana is discribed in Gray's Manual as:
Coarse shrub..... with dark, shaggy barked trunks.......branchlets often spinescent
Did you see spines?

o

I did not see any, Sam. I'll look again next week. The other characteristics matched. Do you doubt the ID or have another idea? The bark seemed very distinctive on all the plants I saw today and was a little different than the Google images I looked up FWIW

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 21:52

I am sure it is the plum. It will not be spiny in the manner of a hawthorn, with plums it is sharp ends to spur shoots here and there, varying from many to some or even few.

o

We have scattered individuals of P.mexicana throughout the woods here - haven't really paid much attention to the bark character, but if I saw an isolated small 'tree' type plum here, that's what I'd be counting on...

o

Thanks for all the input, guys! I will be sure to monitor the plants for further development and report back. I will probably nab a few fruits when they mature to grow for myself.

John

o

Yup, I'd agree with American plum, which is highly fragrant. They tend to grow in thickets and will perfume the surrounding area quite nicely. Lucky you!

o

Thanks, basic! I sure do like them! I'm contemplating replacing my viburnum dentatum row and replacing it with these.

Interesting to note that nearly all of the individuals I encountered in the woods were single stemmed. I did come across one in the open and it was more multi stemmed than the ones in shade. Weird. And OMG the smell is out of this world good...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here