Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

'Super Dragon' Shantung maple

lou_spicewood_tx
12 years ago

This a new one that I received over the winter. The color is supposed to stay yellowish, lime-green color throughout the year.

{{gwi:335968}}

Comments (7)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Nice! Keep pics coming throughout the year! Most yellows tend to burn, I can't a imagine an A. truncatum would.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Apparently, this one doesn't burn in the sun according to Metro Maples where I got a small test plant to try out to see how mine does in alkaline soil compared to his in slightly acidic sandy soil. I had been eyeing on this one for two or three years asking when it'd be available. Lol. It is being patented and should be locally available by fall or next year. I think it is unique enough to be picked up by large wholesale growers soon to be sold everywhere in like 10 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Super Dragon'

• northtexas
    12 years ago

These super dragons are very cool! Please keep us posted this spring and summer with pictures. What color do they turn in the fall?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wes,

According to MM website, it says a mixture of orange, red and yellow. Sadly about a foot of trunk got snapped off by strong wind the other day before the rain. It looked like it was partially snapped off probably by my dog and my mom's dog when they were playing around in the backyard a few weeks ago. Oh well. Gotta put up temporary fence around it when they come to visit soon!

• northtexas
    12 years ago

Yikes! Those dogs must play hard.

My baby dragon stays pretty droopy since I planted it a few weeks ago. I can't figure out if that is its natural habitor if something else is going on. How does yours do?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think Baby Dragon is supposed to stay weepy or bush like form.

I think a wild rabbit or whatever it was was in the backyard that munched on my Baby Dragon over the winter. The branches were a lot shorter plus snapped 8 inches of central leader off... It's now a little bushy plant!

• arktrees
    12 years ago

That's REAL nice Lou. You know you have set yourself to having to post pictures over and over again now don't you? ;-) I am lucky in that I can have most southern plants, and most northern plants, but that does not change the need for tough and beautiful plants to be added to the pallet. IMHO, MM should look for a Shantung with bigger showier flowers in the spring as well. If he could find a mutant with more crabapple size flowers (almost certain to occur BTW. Shantung is the only maple I know of that has a flower where the petals are so visible, an showy obviously to attract insects. Make them more showy, yellow flowers in early spring, combined with the toughness, then you likely have a winner.

Arktrees