Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Super Dragon' Shantung maple

Posted by lou_midlothian_tx z8 DFW, Tx (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 16:40

This a new one that I received over the winter. The color is supposed to stay yellowish, lime-green color throughout the year.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Super Dragon' Shantung maple

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 21:22

Nice! Keep pics coming throughout the year! Most yellows tend to burn, I can't a imagine an A. truncatum would.

o

Apparently, this one doesn't burn in the sun according to Metro Maples where I got a small test plant to try out to see how mine does in alkaline soil compared to his in slightly acidic sandy soil. I had been eyeing on this one for two or three years asking when it'd be available. Lol. It is being patented and should be locally available by fall or next year. I think it is unique enough to be picked up by large wholesale growers soon to be sold everywhere in like 10 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Super Dragon'

o

These super dragons are very cool! Please keep us posted this spring and summer with pictures. What color do they turn in the fall?

o

Wes,

According to MM website, it says a mixture of orange, red and yellow. Sadly about a foot of trunk got snapped off by strong wind the other day before the rain. It looked like it was partially snapped off probably by my dog and my mom's dog when they were playing around in the backyard a few weeks ago. Oh well. Gotta put up temporary fence around it when they come to visit soon!

o

Yikes! Those dogs must play hard.

My baby dragon stays pretty droopy since I planted it a few weeks ago. I can't figure out if that is its natural habitor if something else is going on. How does yours do?

o

I think Baby Dragon is supposed to stay weepy or bush like form.

I think a wild rabbit or whatever it was was in the backyard that munched on my Baby Dragon over the winter. The branches were a lot shorter plus snapped 8 inches of central leader off... It's now a little bushy plant!

o

That's REAL nice Lou. You know you have set yourself to having to post pictures over and over again now don't you? ;-) I am lucky in that I can have most southern plants, and most northern plants, but that does not change the need for tough and beautiful plants to be added to the pallet. IMHO, MM should look for a Shantung with bigger showier flowers in the spring as well. If he could find a mutant with more crabapple size flowers (almost certain to occur BTW. Shantung is the only maple I know of that has a flower where the petals are so visible, an showy obviously to attract insects. Make them more showy, yellow flowers in early spring, combined with the toughness, then you likely have a winner.

Arktrees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here