Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification Request

Posted by ritmatt GA 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 16:43

What kind of tree is this?

They are found all over my area near Atlanta. They seem to be understory trees. Most are not more than 10 or 15 feet tall. They tend to hang onto their leaves through winter, when the leaves become light tan in color. They really stand out when nothing else is in bloom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification Request

Some kind of beech (fagus)

This post was edited by Huggorm on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 17:04

o

beech .... fagus ??? though i admit.. i have no idea if they 'do' atlanta ...

have you seen them in the growing season?? ... if purple leaved .. then copper beech ...

compare at link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thanks, both. Doing a little research on beech trees, I think the American Beech is what I've been seeing. I was thrown off because the books I read said American Beeches get very tall, but all of the trees I've noticed were quite small. Thanks to Ken's link, I found a web page that explained that younger trees are more likely to keep their leaves all winter. So, I'm concluding that there are probably plenty of much taller beeches around, but I haven't recognized them because they have dropped all their leaves. Bottom line is that this is not a good tree to plant under a big maple in my front yard! So, thanks again!

o

Yes, definitely American beech, a young one.

o

Could be a Musclewood?...

o

"I was thrown off because the books I read said American Beeches get very tall, but all of the trees I've noticed were quite small."

American beech is very slow. I've been watching one in the suburbs of Washington, DC, since my teens. It's in the garden of some friends of parents. It was maybe 6' 20 years ago, and is now maybe 25' at most, if not just 20'. No more than 1 ft. per year. Likewise some in the woods near my house seem to have grown only slightly since I bought in the mid 2000s. Though it may depend on the individual clone, the soils, and shade. All of these I mention are shaded; in the case of the local trees they are secondary successional as the maples and cherries die off, and will probably start growing faster soon.

o

Some Beach,...some where...

Love that song!

o

• Posted by jqpublic 7b/8a Wake County NC (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 1:09

Yup! Definitely, an American Beech. You'll definitely see the young ones as understory trees. The biggest I see are along creeks and in "old growth" forests. The youngsters keep their golden leaves for the majority of the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here