Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trees near concrete

Posted by JaggedT 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 17:31

I am looking for trees to plant down the side of my concrete driveway. I'm not concerned about fast growing trees, I just need something where the roots won't make the concrete pop up. It is also a fairly wet area now but I can make it so it isn't. There are 3 trees on the opposite side which I believe are pear trees??? But we just poured the concrete & I hope the existing trees don't cause a problem.
I live in southwest Ohio & believe it is zone 6.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trees near concrete

how old are you

and will this be really important in say 30 to 50 years???

and if its a concern.. why do you want a tree there at all???

and how far from the cement are you contemplating planting..

so many questions.. so little time ...

i favor oak, as being deep rooted.. and unless you are planting w/in 6 feet .. any tree.. i dont really see an issue ..

from mom and dads 1960 neighborhood. i can affirmatively state that you do not want maple or sycamore within 10 feet ..

BTW.. any drain pipe or septic issues???

ken

o

I am having the same question as the OP. I was thinking of planting european beeches but they would be 4 and a half feet from the drive. Will I be ok for ~30 years?
Are all fagaceae deep rooted?

o

Here is about 17 years and the effect of a red oak (Q. rubra) planted 8' from concrete. Yes, a typically deeply rooted tree, but...
Photobucket

o

Residential concrete just has such a short service life. Don't do anything silly like a tree soo close the trunk will try encapsulating the pavement.

o

What's your soil like? Unless it's pure sand and /or gravel, no tree is going to be "deep-rooted".

Aside from that, you have many options....almost anything, really.....if you're not going to be there for too long! But if you are there for the long haul, at least stay away from most maples. They heave up slabs for breakfast.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here