Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I control size of italian cypress?

Posted by hemolymph 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 3, 11 at 17:38

First off--Forgive my ignorance! I really don't know much about gardening.

However, I am trying to go for a formal/manicured look in my front yard. I saw a photo online of someone who had what look like italian cypress flanking their windows. It looks so so pretty!

First off, if these ARE Italian cypress. Is it possible to control their height/width so they don't outgrow their area?

I'd love to plant them on either side of my window but I wouldn't want them to grow higher than my roof.

Is it possible to prune them to keep them shorter/thinner?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, here is the link to the photo I am talking about:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcenterpriseservices/5369385599/in/photostream/

Are those Italian cypress? If not.. what are they?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I control size of italian cypress?

The pic is of Mediterranean Cypress Cupressus sempervirens 'Stricta' (often, but wrongly, called 'Italian' Cypress; it comes from Greece and Turkey, not Italy).

No, it isn't really feasible to control their size; they don't look good if trimmed. The people in that house are going to have serous problems in the future, as they will get too large for that close to the house.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: Your link made clickable

o

As resin said above they are large trees and keeping them small is impractical or expensive but luckily there are plants that are similar in appearance that just don't grow as tall in the landscape. Such as skyrocket juniper and there are others but their names escape me at the moment.

o

the people in that house.. probably have the money to have some guy come and prune them 3 or 4 times a year .. lol ... or even better .. replace then every few years ...

post a pic of your own space.. and ask for recommendations on what to use... in a new post .... let us take a stab at it

link below to a good starting point to build your knowledge ... never forget.. the ONLY stupid question.. is the UNasked question.. otherwise.. we approve of a quest from knowledge ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: conifer intro

o

Look for the cultivar of Cupressus sempervirens called Tiny Tower ('Monshel'). Although not exactly what I'd consider "tiny", this selection only grows about 1/3 the height of standard Italian cypresses. And it takes a long time to get there :-)

Other choice you could consider are narrow, upright conifers that have been trained into a topiary form - arborvitae, junipers, dwarf Alberta spruce, etc. And there are other, broadleaved evergreen shrubs available trained in the same form. As long as you are willing to provide the attention to maintain their topiary form, these tend to stay quite small and in scale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupressus sempervirens 'Monshel' - Tiny Tower

o

gardengal48 excellent Idea!!! I had two 5ft spiral spuces in large pots adjacent to our Colonial House's front door. They looked great and did well. It was very relaxing trimming them once a month after I came home from work!!!

o

check out the link ...

i really dont understand how you are going to do this..

but if you are proceeding with full knowledge.. and think it will be a fun project.. ALL THE POWER TO YA!!!

the peeps in the conifer forum can probably offer suggestions beyond the cypress ... that 10 years down the line.. will be better ...

good luck

and have fun

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Relating to controlling the size of the trees - Does anyone have experience of trying to restrict the root growth?? I'm thinking that planting the trees in a large pot that is sunk below the soil level may restrict the root growth and result in restricted tree size??
Anyone tried this or think it would work??

o

you should start your own post..

but a pot that does not drain is not good for a tree ...

and a pot with drainage holes.. defeats your purpose .. as the tree will grow right out of it.. fast ...

dont you think??

wont work.. IMHO ...

bonsai will .. and that basically involves digging the tree up and repeatedly removing most of its roots ....

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here