Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Fast Growing Tree to Plant

Posted by KauaiHawaiiGuy none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 17:51

So here's my dilemma ...... we have lived in our home foe 23 years and planted a flowering plum the second year we moved to this home. And this home is in Springfield Oregon. It grew into a beautiful front yard shade tree until today. One week after it fully blossomed out, and on the second day of spring no less, we had snow most of the night and this morning ..... and our beautiful tree has broken in so many and numerous places from the weight of the wet snow on all the flowered out blossoms that it is beyond saving. So my question is this ..... we are both 62 and haven't the years to wait out the growth, so what might be as pretty and also very fast growing to replace our lost tree? I think we are zone 8. Really like the looks of a Mimosa but have heard that they can be a pain in the keester.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Fast Growing Tree to Plant

i dont understand your question ..

you have about 20 years of average life expectancy left..

plant a good tree .. as compared to the 'fast growing' tree that self-imploded on your lawn..

and enjoy it for the next 20 years.. min ..

NEVER.. EVER.. PLANT A TREE THAT IS CLAIMED TO BE FAST GROWING ... or you will be replacing that one in 10 years also ...

i would favor an oak.. because i garden under trees..

others will salivate about maples.. and frankly.. they grow just about as fast as so claimed trees..

i dont know your zone well enough to make specific suggestions.. just to tell you to stay away from anything MARKETED as fast growing ...

and hoist one to a long life .. with my regards ... WELCOME TO GW

ken

ps: if you use the search function for fast growing trees.. you might see the above opinion from many peeps.. a couple thousand times ... lol.. actually hit the link below for 9446 matches .. read thru a few of those.. and bring back ideas here .... and let us critique them

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here