Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregs_strat

Figgy, my ficus

Gregs_Strat
10 years ago

Hello! I've had this tree since I found it in an unoccupied office about 15 years ago. It was a foot high, and had three leaves on it. It is now 8' high, only because I trim it, and about 8' across. It's well formed. The trunk is about 2 1/2" thick, and the pot it's in is about 18" high and almost 2" in diameter.

For the first time, leaves are falling off in droves. Kind of like that movie about 1000 words. They are mostly falling from the top, but starting to fall from the middle. I live in the Denver area (zone 2a, from what I can determine), and this has been sitting in front of a south-facing window for years. It is, of course, very dry here, as we sit at about 5700' AMSL. I've read some of the blogs on this, and maybe got too much information. I figure it has something to do with the salt content in the soil. So, this is in a big pot with holes underneath the pot. I pour water on it, and it pretty much goes straight through. I'm sure new soil is in order, but am not sure in what order I put new soil in. I see that I need to pour a few gallons of water through this to clean the salt out, is that right? I can't really take it out of the pot and let it sit out overnight, as the temps are in the 30s at night right now, or will it tolerate that? We aren't getting to 32 degrees at night. It hasn't been fertilized in a long time, so I need to do that, but where in the sequence? Also, I'm not familiar with, and can't translate the ratios that I saw somewhere in one of your posts. I just gave the tree a slight shake, and a hundred leaves fell off. The twigs at the top of the tree are dry and brittle, but just less than a foot below them, they are still pliable. Through a few moves that this tree has endured, I've brought it back from near-fatal situations three times. I love my Figgy, and have to save her! Thank you in advance for your help!

Comment (1)