Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nice Cedar posts...tiny butterflies & lovely Expressionist

Posted by dragonflydee ALz8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 18:25

Sculpture! I entombed in abt 200 acres of pines appreciate all cedars I find.
DD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nice Cedar posts...tiny butterflies & lovely Expressionist

Good Luck

o

I've read the title and original post about four of five times and still have no idea what this thread is about.

o

He claims that he is surrounded by 200 acres of pine trees and is looking for some cedar trees to sculpture with....

o

I appreciate dragonflydee's post, heck I appreciate all posts here. This forum has slowed down to a crawl, we're don't have the option of being persnickety. :)

o

Persnickety???? Personally, I don't see too much of that here. Most of the time, I think we get it about right here in this forum. But, occasionally, I'll see something that I just don't understand, and the original post in this thread is one of those times. I still don't know if dragonflydee is just expressing his/her appreciation for cedars, wanting someone to send cedar wood, or if it's something completely unrelated. I guess tiny butterflies could be carved from cedar, but I may be way out on a limb with that guess.

o

Here's a pic of a cedar cone, to keep the thread going

Resin

o

Something just dawned on me, I reckon that Resin never smelled the aromatic Juniperus virginiana after it was cut into lumber. Am I right?
The Old World Cedars might be great for building temples, but what does their wood smell like?

o
RE: Nice Cedar posts...tiny butterflies & lovely Expressionis

"The Old World Cedars might be great for building temples, but what does their wood smell like?"

Heavenly. No surprise they were used for temples. Also looks very nice, too.

Resin

This post was edited by pineresin on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 21:11

o

Supposedly the resin/oils were used by the ancient Egyptians during embalming process.
From Wikepedia : "The inner wood is aromatic and used to make incense. Inner wood is distilled into essential oil. As insects avoid this tree, the essential oil is used as insect repellent on the feet of horses, cattle and camels. It also has anti-fungal properties[citation needed] and has some potential for control of fungal deterioration of spices during storage. The outer bark and stem are astringent.[10]"

"Due to its anti fungal and insect repellent properties rooms made of Deodar wood are used to store meat and food grains like oats and wheat in Shimla, Kullu and Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh. In Himachal people suffering from Asthma or other respiratory problems are advised to sit under a Deodar tree early in the morning."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here