Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root growth question (and the story behind it).

Posted by jlaitar 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 18:52

I guess I totally didn't fill you in with the total story of my root cutting situation. So I planted two Autumn Blaze maples at my lakehouse in Michigan in 2007 (I know Ken I should've planted oaks). The taller of the two was about 9 feet at the time of planting and the smaller of the two was about 7 feet. In 2008 each grew about a foot each, however in 2009 and for each year after the smaller of the two maples grew about 3 feet each year, while the larger of the two only put on it's one foot of growth a year. So obviously the smaller one became established, but the larger one was not.

In the summer of 2010 I had a theory that the larger of the two maples at planting might have had it's root ball bound up in the container it grew in. I dug up one side of the tree and found a larger root, about 3/4" across, wrapped around the bottom of the rootball and then back up into the rootball. I cut the root at the bottom of the rootball and relaid it away from the tree with the hope that the root would regrow away from the tree to promote more vertical growth.

Last spring (2011) the slower growing maple put on it's typical foot of growth like I normally does. My question is, do you think that the root will regenerate from the severed end? And why was the larger of the two trees the slower one to grow after it was planted only 15 feet from of the other one, with the same soil and watering? Any ideas?

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root growth question (and the story behind it).

Larger transolanta have it rough. More likely to be pot bound like you found out. Longer establishment time. Thats all. Keep it watered properly.

o

Trees will reproduce new roots at the cut end. This is also called root pruning. Even though the soil looks the same,if you took a soil test you would find different results for each spot.Circling roots can be detrimental to a tree, but it takes longer than what you are talking. So many things effect growth on a tree.

o

i dont have time to study your full facts..

but let me just quickly note.. that it will do better now.. than it ever did ... and i bet its growth rate will catch up with the other.. in a year or two ...

i think.. the biggest issue with growing in circles.. is the inability to search for.. and find water ... it just sucks itself dry in that little circle it is growing in ...

so once its starts spreading out.. life is usually good.. even if it is a maple.. lol

ken

o

Roots do not search for water or nutrients

o

...and the biggest problem circular-growing roots usually cause is girdling of the trunks they grow around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here