Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nonflowering Dogwood

Posted by lilchynaqt (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 19:07

I'm in search of some information about nonflowering dogwoods. Size, sun, care, etc. The builder of our house just had landscapers come today and planted about 15 of these on the side of my house. I didn't know that the had intentional non-flowering dogwood trees. I thought it was just a problem that people had. All I seem to find is information about dogwoods that don't flower, but the landscapers told me that's just what they do. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nonflowering Dogwood

I have never heard of this! I don't believe him. Did he give you a botanical name for this special plant?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 23:37

Why plant a flowering dogwood that does not flower? More likely these are seed-raised plants that will not flower as small as grafted stock.

o

Unless what the landscaper planted was some kind of sterile hybrid, he's wrong about not blooming. There are several shrubby dogwoods that have very small insignificant flowers which have the effect of being non-flowering. If the things planted really are trees rather than shrubs, all of the tree form dogwoods including alternifolia, florida, kousa and others do flower.

o

Yes, perhaps what he meant was it was "NOT" flowering dogwood which is the common name for this particular dogwood:

All other dogwoods DO flower, they just have a completely different looking flower, like this for example:

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 12:48

There are other bracted dogwoods besides Cornus florida, for example the also very popular C. kousa.

o

All angiosperms (non-cone bearing plants) flower - even male varieties and sterile hybrids - that is how nature intends for them to reproduce. The flowers may require a specific age before they are produced or they may be so inconspicuous as to appear not to be present but it's gonna happen sooner or later. Even if the flowering parts do not work as nature intended, they will still be produced unless manually removed or prevented from forming.

o

Being an old landscaper myself, I would say the most likely scenario is that your landscaper is either incompetent or unethical. Or they could be saying exactly what the builder told them to say. Non-flowering my hiney.

Dan

o

Can you post a picture of the plant. Fifteen on one side of a house makes me wonder if it is a small shrubby dogwood species.....or a very large house.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 14:05

I completely agree with Dan. I'm an old landscaper myself.
There is no such thing as a nonflowering Dogwood. If there was, who would want it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here