jujujojo_gw

Please ID tree with white double flower in spring

jujujojo_gw
11 years ago

Pictures taken in South Korea zone 8-9?

{{gwi:336547}}

{{gwi:336548}}

{{gwi:336549}}

Disclaimer, there is no intention from me to plant, sell or bring it into the United States.

Comments (23)

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spring flowering tree No. 2. Please ID. Thank you for your help.

This is NOT the same as the first one.

{{gwi:336550}}

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

First one it a rose (Rosa), second one is a crabapple (Malus).

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a hard time believing the first a rose. Do you have the tree? It is a tree - big trunk and a lot of leaves.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Jujujojo have you ever seen a mature Rosa banksiae? They are enormous and the 'trunks' can be enormous, too. Your photo looks like a Rosa banksiae var. banksiae which is native to China. (Just to complicate things, both roses and crabapples are members of the same family, Rosaceae.)

Sara

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

formandfoliage 9b (Sunset zone 15)

Thank you very much for your ID. I thought R banksiae has narrow leaves, and R. banksia has flowers smaller in diameter than the width of leaf. Maybe it is a cultivar? I agree that the "trunk" could be a result of training.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much for your ID. I thought R banksiae has narrow leaves, and R. banksia has flowers smaller in diameter than the width of leaf. Maybe it is a cultivar? I agree that the "trunk" could be a result of training.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Mine wasn't a definitive id, but it is almost certainly a rose and it could be R b. In any case, that's where to start looking. Good luck!

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Rosa x fortuniana is similar.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bboy, when you look at Rosa x fortuniana, compare the size of the flower and the size of the leaf.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i bet you will get a lot closer to ID .. if you had a focused picture of the flowers.. rather than blurred white blobs ...

i am simply amazed you guys can even get in the ballpark based on these pix ..

as to the second.. just about any white.. blushed pink flower... takes my mind to apple/crab .... but i find it weird.. to think the third pic.. is the same plant as the first two ... it almost looks like a large flowering almond.. which i am sure its NOT ....

just some observations.. i wish you luck

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Ken is absolutely right - when the ids get tricky, it's usually best to focus on the flower structure. Ken - if you had ever grown a Rosa banksiae you too would have recognized the similarity immediately. There is a wild species that is native to China growing in a nearby botanical garden and it is as big as a house. I think that they cut it back every year with chain saws!

Sara

• eahamel
    11 years ago

bboy, that isn't fortuniana. I have one and it doesn't look like that. It has individual blooms along long, arching canes, and they open from the center of the plant out to the ends of the canes, and they arch downward.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Solution found!

The South Korean gardener said that this is a garden cultivar of Symplocos caudata.

I cannot believe how strongly fragrant this plant is. The blooming season is not extensively long; but this fragrance is POWERFUL!

The double flower looks great! This is a species closely related to the American common sweetleaf.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is of the order Ericales; in the family of Symplocaceae; and of genus Symplocos.

Ha, it is NOT a rose!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

formandfoliage 9b (Sunset zone 15),
    Thank you for your help.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

No plant shown here is Symplocos caudata.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bboy, supply your evidence.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Symplocos caudata does not appear to have a compound leaf...your first set of photos is of a plant with a compound leaf - looks tripartite...

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In the middle a little toward the right of picture 1, there is a branch with 5 reddish leaves. So, it is likely not tripartite. They could be just branches. Especially, they grow new leaves during the season.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Ok I see that now...but these are compound leaves. Look at all of the photos...now that I look more closely they appear to have five parts...just like a rose...
    I can't say any more than I have. If you don't agree, that's fine...

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In picture 2, on the lower right edge of the picture, you can see a small item of bright orange and lemon color. To its left, there is a long branch, see how many leaves does it have. Will rose ever grow this way?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA
    This is a cultivar of double flowers, not a species.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

jujujojo - I'm signing off now...I can't say any more than I have because I can't see well enough to be more definitive.
    Over and out -
    Sara