Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bareroot - vote to pot up or plant out

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 19:28

I have two 30" bareroot firs that are completely dormant but have smallish root systems. I'm debating whether I up pot and keep in part shade until the fall or if I should go ahead and plant out in their home as soon as the ground thaws and is workable.

Questioning as to whether it will be less stressed in the pot or in the ground due to the limited roots. Likely a crapshoot but perhaps someone has some objective info.

Eitherway they are in pots now with well drained media

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bareroot - vote to pot up or plant out

Unless the roots are grossly compromised, I would plant them this spring. Much better/easier to care for in the soil rather than in a pot.

tj

o

Ditto. Spring, ground, much simpler, much easier!

o

Just a thought. If it came to it, I know some people buy shade cloths to put over ponds, for example, which block off a given percentage of sunlight. If it looks like your plants are going to summer during the heat of summer, since they're not all that tall, I'm thinking 4 tall stakes & some shade cloth to keep the 'heat of the day' sun off them while letting their roots grow through the spring & summer into their permanent placement would be good.

Richard.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 20:46

The ease part sure makes it tempting to plant them out!

I'd say the root systems where equivalent to the volume in a 1 gallon container less all the fibrous roots. Put about 5 quarts of media per 3 gallon container.

Richard, I sure thought about doing that. They look so silly but might be worth the payoff vs. babying in a container.

photo photo-4.jpg

o

Plant them out. The soil in the pots will be air temp, no matter how much shade they get, and if that is 90F, then the trees will suffer. Roots don't grow in hot soil.

o

OMG!!!!

look at the trunks on those ...

very seriously.. those are plants that bonsai peeps would fall to the ground and roll around ... unless thats just dog vomit on the left one ...

anyway ... i do either.. both ... i keep them right out the front door.. north side of house [no sun] .. on a retaining wall.. where i nearly knock them off every day ... forcing me to remember to water them ... WHEN they need it ...

but i think the key is .... size ... i do that with very small stuff ...

i think with the size of those.. mother earth would stabilize them better than i ever could ...

are you interested in bonsai???? sounds like a new hobby ...

ken

o

I had to look twice, even thrice, too Ken. I believe that is snow for watering, not the trunks.

tj

o

Concolor I take it? Good lookers there. I say it's ground time-when the time comes!

+oM

o

oh crikey.. lol

and i was the one who told him about the snow trick... lol ...

plant them ...

ken

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 22:07

You guys far funny! After the pic I had to look twice too!

Sure is snow and there is still plenty out there!

Right on, these are Abies concolor 'Compacta'.

The votes are in....I'll plant them out. Now if the soil would just thaw and drain!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here