Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
proactive management of dying trees

Posted by drymanhattan 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 19:34

We have many large ash and oak trees along the boundary with a neighbor. None of them are in good shape. The ashes are in decline, and the oaks are being undermined by water runoff. Last week a large oak with root rot fell into the neighbor's yard. While we are not responsible for the damage (fence & hedge) and cleanup ($1400), obviously we don't want it to happen again. I can't afford to have them all taken down. Is there some way I can direct their fall onto our property at least? What is the most efficient way of managing a large number of problematic trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: proactive management of dying trees

I never did find a great way. In the last 12 years I have felt the need to remove five large trees from my property.

Renting a towable man lift was my "economical" option. Still with rental and just SOME other cost like buying pizza for helpers or a new chain for the saw it averaged $300 plus for the three I did myself.

When I had the last one done professionally I paid to have the stump ground since it was huge and right by the front door. I did let them leave some big trunk pieces. Some I gave away to a fella who heats his home with wood. Others I hauled up to the fire pit as seats to eventually be thrown in.

Where in zone 7 are you? Is Emerald Ash Borer the problem your ash are having?

o

I'm in northwestern Westchester County. Your question about the exact nature of the decline (to which I don't know the answer) does make me think that I need to understand that, and the current quality of the wood. Then I will start reaching out to people who may be interested in the wood - whether for lumber or firewood - to do the cutting. I could probably use a lot of it to terrace the ravine that is causing the runoff, but all of this requires strong, skilled labor, which is what is so costly. Thank you for response, as it got me thinking beyond traditional arborists.

o

you dont much describe your property ....

but there can be significant cost reduction if you are physically able to do any of the work yourself ...

e.g. if you can use a chainsaw.. and if you can burn on your property ... you could pay to make them fall down ... and remove only the huge trunk ... and you do all scrub cleanup ... you can also have them cut them flush to the ground.. and skip the stump grinding .... etc ...

you might also get some ideas by contacting your county extension office ...

or using google to find any state publications relating to such ...

you county soil conservation district office.. might also be able to help you in regard to the soil erosion ...

but that is all based on your willingness to invite the gubment to your property ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here