Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuart_2008

Eastern Redbud Tree

stuart_2008
13 years ago

I live in Kennesaw GA and my Eastern Redbud has started putting out its pink/purplish flowers. However, the green-bean looking seed pods haven't fallen from the tree so the blooms are mostly covered up.

I know that normally when leaves or seeds don't drop that is a sign of trouble or death. However, it is putting out the flowers.

Does anybody have an idea if there is a problem or is this just an anomaly?

Thanks,

Stuart

Comments (10)

• taxus_man
    13 years ago

Although they aren't opening here I see the pods still on many trees. My thoughts are that the weather kept the tree in active growth stage longer than normal.

• greenthumbzdude
    13 years ago

well, sometimes the pods hang on the tree throughout winter if they aren't blow off or picks off by birds, squirrels,and ect. If the tree is in a sheltered location that could be the reason why.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

I know that normally when leaves or seeds don't drop that is a sign of trouble or death.

===>>> i didnt know this.. what is your source of this???

i suspect that your conclusion does not necessarily follow from your facts ...

so what facts have you forgotten ???

if leaves hold in fall.. one reason MIGHT be a hard severe frost .. way too early in the season.. [which might be hard to fathom in your zone, but i have some recall of some weather extreme down in GA ] ...

or hyper-fertilization .. too late in fall causing them to go into winter w/o hardening off????

etc ... so can you remember anything out of the ordinary [what is that anymore] in the last year ...???

bottom line.. i would not worry about it ... not an easy tree to kill ... and up here in z5 MI... i seem to think the pods always winter-over on the tree ... but i dont recall them hiding the flowers ...

is this a young tree.. perhaps its first real seed production.. or an older tree????

more facts please

ken

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I second the suspicion that it is weather. Just a guess without knowing the precise weather, just the general trend down there.

Dan

• stuart_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I don't think it was a weather event. All of the other Eastern Redbuds in my neighborhood dropped their dried up seed pods. I don't fertilize the tree, maybe a little fertilizer comes from fertilizing the grass around it. The tree came with the house which is about 13 years old so it is not young. It isn't in a sheltered spot. I've had the house for about 8 years and this is the first time it's done it.

It sounds like it is okay or, at least, I won't worry about it.

• j0nd03
    13 years ago

Wow... uh every redbud tree I have seen since this was posted (about 2-3 dozen or so) all have flowers exposed now and last year's seed pods still attached so I wouldn't worry about it.

• texan_grower
    13 years ago

Most of the redbud trees I see blooming around still have a bunch of seed pods from last season still hanging.

• ProCaptioner
    11 years ago

I am near Salt Lake City Utah. I notice this thread was started in March. My Eastern Redbud is blooming now but still has so many seed pods on it they hide a lot of the blooms. This is about the 5th spring we have had the tree and the first time I have noticed it. I have seen other trees of this kind in the neighborhood but none still have seed pods like ours.
    It makes me feel a little better that other people have seen this as well. I was concerned about the tree. It makes me sad that we won't get to enjoy the full beauty of the tree this year!

• GimpyGardener
    10 years ago

I've only seen 3 trees here in Central Massachusetts and would like to start some seedlings, is there any special preparation/care/feeding I should know about?

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio