Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eastern Redbud Tree

Posted by stuart_2008 7 GA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 19:51

I live in Kennesaw GA and my Eastern Redbud has started putting out its pink/purplish flowers. However, the green-bean looking seed pods haven't fallen from the tree so the blooms are mostly covered up.

I know that normally when leaves or seeds don't drop that is a sign of trouble or death. However, it is putting out the flowers.

Does anybody have an idea if there is a problem or is this just an anomaly?

Thanks,

Stuart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eastern Redbud Tree

Although they aren't opening here I see the pods still on many trees. My thoughts are that the weather kept the tree in active growth stage longer than normal.

o

well, sometimes the pods hang on the tree throughout winter if they aren't blow off or picks off by birds, squirrels,and ect. If the tree is in a sheltered location that could be the reason why.

o

I know that normally when leaves or seeds don't drop that is a sign of trouble or death.

===>>> i didnt know this.. what is your source of this???

i suspect that your conclusion does not necessarily follow from your facts ...

so what facts have you forgotten ???

if leaves hold in fall.. one reason MIGHT be a hard severe frost .. way too early in the season.. [which might be hard to fathom in your zone, but i have some recall of some weather extreme down in GA ] ...

or hyper-fertilization .. too late in fall causing them to go into winter w/o hardening off????

etc ... so can you remember anything out of the ordinary [what is that anymore] in the last year ...???

bottom line.. i would not worry about it ... not an easy tree to kill ... and up here in z5 MI... i seem to think the pods always winter-over on the tree ... but i dont recall them hiding the flowers ...

is this a young tree.. perhaps its first real seed production.. or an older tree????

more facts please

ken

o

Just as a side note, Isn't it funny how people from Georgia always start by clearly stating precisely where they are located?

It sure would be nice if everyone who posted for help or identification did this.

o

I second the suspicion that it is weather. Just a guess without knowing the precise weather, just the general trend down there.

Dan

o

Thanks for all the responses. I don't think it was a weather event. All of the other Eastern Redbuds in my neighborhood dropped their dried up seed pods. I don't fertilize the tree, maybe a little fertilizer comes from fertilizing the grass around it. The tree came with the house which is about 13 years old so it is not young. It isn't in a sheltered spot. I've had the house for about 8 years and this is the first time it's done it.

It sounds like it is okay or, at least, I won't worry about it.

o

Wow... uh every redbud tree I have seen since this was posted (about 2-3 dozen or so) all have flowers exposed now and last year's seed pods still attached so I wouldn't worry about it.

o

Most of the redbud trees I see blooming around still have a bunch of seed pods from last season still hanging.

o

I am near Salt Lake City Utah. I notice this thread was started in March. My Eastern Redbud is blooming now but still has so many seed pods on it they hide a lot of the blooms. This is about the 5th spring we have had the tree and the first time I have noticed it. I have seen other trees of this kind in the neighborhood but none still have seed pods like ours.
It makes me feel a little better that other people have seen this as well. I was concerned about the tree. It makes me sad that we won't get to enjoy the full beauty of the tree this year!

o

I've only seen 3 trees here in Central Massachusetts and would like to start some seedlings, is there any special preparation/care/feeding I should know about?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here