Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of Thuja to plant?

Posted by shutton none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 20:04

I live in the northeast and need a privacy screen. I have approx 8 feet between a split rail fence and a road. I have been told that planting Thuja Plicatas was the way to go. Then I discovered how many varieties there are. Between 'excelsa' 'Green Giant' and 'Occidentalis' , which variety would be best suited for my constraints? I'm aware that the grene giant would get wider than 8 feet, but if I plant them closer to the fence than the road, could I get away with my width problem or would the fence damage that part of the plant? Deer are prevelant in the area, are either of these better or worse? I plan on buying 5-6 feet tall trees. How far apart should I plant them?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of Thuja to plant?

Well Shut, you'd have a while before the fence would impinge on the trees' growing space. As far as which species, any of the Thujas is going to screen well. BTW, Green Giant is a hybrid of plicata and a Japanese species-standishii.

All good plants for your region.

+oM

o

I have 8 feet between my driveway and my neighbor and there's no better choice than Thuja occidentalis 'Wintergreen' aka 'Hetz Wintergreen' aka 'Wintergreen Pyramidal'.

I've measured 35' tall 'Hetz Wintergreen' and at most they are 7' across at the base. If you were to go with this cultivar, space them 4' apart or if you don't mind waiting a bit longer, space them 5' apart.

Just a note, Musser Forest sells seedlings of 'Wintergreen' and therefore you should not buy those because seedlings are variable and are not clones.. should you have to go to online sources. Evergreen Nursery sells true clones/rooted-cuttings of Wintergreen under the name 'Wintergreen Pyramidal'. Very good prices.

Green Giant will overwhelm that space over time and is not a good choice for that very reason.

Dax

o

Thanks. I'm being told that 'Excelsa' is not deer resistant. Is that true...are the other two more resistant?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 14:58

Here Thuja plicata is rarely browsed - I've seen comparatively light damage once - whereas popular columnar T. occidentalis cultivars can be seen with basically no foliage from deer height down on numerous sites in my area.

I believe damage to the 'Green Giant' hybrid has been reported on GardenWeb.

The thing about comparing notes about deer is that their feeding behavior varies. There is also the damage done by rubbing off of velvet, this can be quite destructive to small specimens. The only guarantee is effectively fencing them out. If you are letting them into your plantings nobody can provide 100 percent assurance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here