Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for care of the red flowering peach tree.

Posted by prettypetals GA 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 20:10

Hi, I purchased some red flowering peach trees (prunus persica) and wondered if you could give me some good advice on planting spot and general care. Thanks in advance, Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for care of the red flowering peach tree.

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 23:19

Full sun, good drainage, same pest and disease control program as orchard peach trees.

o

For planting and aftercare tips, see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

o

or ... much simpler.. roots down in the ground .. tree upwards..

ken

o

Make sure you have a dormant spray program and equipment, in addition to planting properly (not what one 'thinks' is properly, but actual properly).

Dan

o

"or ... much simpler.. roots down in the ground .. tree upwards..."

Fail! LOL

o

Thanks for helping everyone. I was hoping since it wasn't a fruit producing tree I wouldn't have to spray. So should I spray or just let it be like all my other flowering cherry trees like the Okame and the Yoshino? Thanks, Judy

o

FIRST!!!!!

you said you bought a peach tree.. we all presumed you wanted to grow PEACHES... not just flowers ...

if you just want flowers.. you will probably have to spray much less than if you want fruit ..

so why dont we start over.. with you telling us what you want from the tree.. other than.. or in addition to... red flowers ...

i am thinking.. up here in MI.. there is some bug.. that would require spraying.. even if you did not care about the fruit ... but i gave up on peach trees many decades ago ....

ken

ps: what happened to SECOND????

pps: i hope she doesnt find out about flowering almond ... and want nuts.. lol ..

Here is a link that might be useful: much easier than peach for me ... and frankly.. irellevent to the OP ....

o

"we all presumed you wanted to grow PEACHES"

We all, who?

o

Sorry about that. When I have purchased trees they are always marked "fruit" or "flowering" so I figured everyone would know when I said flowering peach tree they knew it wasn't one that produced fruit. I apoligize for not being more clear. While searching the internet though I found an article that said to spray the flowering ones too and I thought it was kind of strange since it doesn't produce fruit. Thats why I posted here to see what all of you thought. Thanks, Judy

o

No problema. Dormant spray. What I said above.

Dan

o

Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 1:38

See my previous post.

o

'WE' in the sense of God and me.. and presumably the queen ...

ken

o

Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 13:42

That's some pretty highfalutin' company you keep.

o

but not quite impressive as hanging with you peeps ...

hows that.. a big wet sloppy one in the morning.. lol

but we apparently digress.. completely ..

good luck with your peach, petals ...

ken

o

Peach trees, ornamental or not, can be plagued with various fungal and bacterial problems that can affect the health of the tree, regardless of whether or not it produces fruit. Similar to flowering or fruiting cherries in that regard, although those guys kinda grab the lion's share of disease issues :-) Dormant season spraying is well advised.

o

Thanks a bunch everyone. I will definitely do the dormant spray to keep it healthy. Have a great spring!

o

can be plagued with various fungal and bacterial problems that can affect the health of the tree, regardless of whether or not it produces fruit

===>>>> and that is what takes it from being an ORNAMENTAL.. to a pain in the keester ...

enjoy this one.. but i will bet you will think long and hard about another .. or a replacement ... somewhere down the road

that is why i gave up on them long ago ... worse than a high maintenance girl friend .. lol ..

in the royal sense.. WE wish you a good gardening year.. lol

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here