Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tricolor Beech...old trend?

Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 21:08

I almost bought a Tricolor Beech last year...held off as I wasn't sure about its performance.

Is this trendy tree worth the space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tricolor Beech...old trend?

The "Big" 15 foot ones I've seen in parks are the most eye catching thing out there. Ken has an EXCELLENT looking one he's posted pics of.

Worth the space?

I absolutely dig trees obnoxious enough to get the attention of the 99% of folks who don't pay any attention to that sort of thing. Rumor has it they loose some coloration with age and become like a pink tinted purple beech. Haven't seen much for pics of them though.

I've been told the new form being sold now is not the same as a classical Tricolor. Fagus sylvatica Purpurea Tricolor - (rose-marg.)var.beech or something similar is how we should refer to it.

Worth it? Hmmmm, if I was trying to design a front yard to help my house sell I could see how any tree like this could be very "hit or miss". Like a Monte Carlo wearing 24 inch wheels they'll be lovers and haters out there but no one who doesn't notice.

If the variegation does become less pronounced with age nothing wrong with a more classic purple beech either.

Here is a link that might be useful: I just noticed this one.

o

I'd never get one. The colour is good for a short time in spring, but the pink bits soon turn dead, brown and shrivelled, and for the rest of the summer it has ugly distorted leaves looking like someone has fried it with a blowtorch.

Resin

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 9:21

I can't say I'd mind if the pink faded through the season.

What I would be concerned is if it scortches like Aesculus.
I know you can potentially avoid this problem by situating properly and supplemental water during dry periods.

If a tree can't offer fall color or at least hold clean foilage through autumn its worthless IMO.

Ken's tree gets one of the top hits for google images...it just happens to be the best looking one out there on google.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 11:30

The common 'Purpurea Tricolor' ('Roseomarginata') dates from 1880 and originated in Germany. Extremely rare (now extinct?) 'Tricolor' appeared before 1870, in France. The only connection is the common current practice of calling the German one by the name of the French one.

Picture a brown paper bag set alight with pink flames and you have the summer aspect of a more established 'Purpurea Tricolor'. The calico appearance of young trees often does not persist. One friend had the white component diminish markedly the second year after planting.

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 15:54

A tricolor beech is a great plant. If planted in a semi understory type setting with filtered sunlight and some direct sun it will hold its color well. Of all the plants in my yard, it along with a Hoopsii Blue Spruce and maybe a Gold Rush Dawn Redwood get noticed the most.

If you are going to get one I would make sure it is in full leaf as some seem to have much more pink in the leeaf than others.

Davod

o

To be fair, Nyssa Sylvatica and my Fraxinus americanas have GREAT fall color. How long does that last though? Most of the year they're pretty routine and rely on being a stately "shape".

The few Fagus sylvatica Purpurea Tricolor - (rose-marg.)var.beeches I've seen seemed excellent until late July then the leaf tips turned white which was ok, then one scorched a bit, the other got boring.

Mine is in a spot near the damp are of my yard, probably gets a bit more mid-day sun than most would prefer but gets more water. Its plenty interesting what its going to do either way whaas, not the safest choice though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tri-color non burnt late summer?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 22:25

Out here anyway, burning is not the thing but rather the purple fading away.

Which is the case with the branch shown. The non-variegated portions have pretty much gone green.

o

may i simplify it for you ....

JUST GET ONE ....

LISTEN.. EVERY PLANT IN YOUR GARDEN HAS ITS .. OOPS... its season ....

some have spring glory ... some fall .. etc ..

the spring, early summer, show of this plant.. will go way beyond tingling your toes.. and may necessitate an adult diaper.. JUST DO IT .... [hows that for a mental picture]

see pix below.. ignore the dwarf ....

further... i am a COLLECTOR ... i have no use for two of anything.. by definition ....I HAVE TWO OF THESE ... that should sum it all up from my perspective ....

in your zone 5.. damage should be rarer or lesser than warmer climes... and if you could place it so as to avoid the sun in the high heat of the day.. while still getting full sun [8+ hours] .... you may avoid some of the burn ... the one below is sited on the east side of the house.. so it becomes shaded by 1 pm in summer ... but is still in extremely bright location

the pix show spring color.. the pink starts fading.. and moving toward parchment ... and in a severe summer .. right thru to brown dead tissue.. with the center remaining ... go find something else to look at in late august ... spring is worth it ...

JUST DO IT ...

ken

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

What variety is that Ken? If that's the correct question. Yours is awesome, but seems there are different tri-color ones??

thanks

o

sold to me as tri-color beech ... no further name..

bboy .. per his note above calls it roseo .. whatever ...

frankly .. i have never seen one with a cultivar name.. they are simply sold with the generic name of tricolor ...

ken

o

I mail ordered one which seems identical to Ken's. It has some homage paid to the Rose-marg.xxx? version of the name.

There are at least four in St Louis area parks, two tagged at MOBOT, which look the same. Well, not always as good but like the same tree.

Ken's does look better than either at MOBOT lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Farm Fagus sylvatica Purpurea Tricolor - (rose-marg.)var.beech

o

is my tree dead??,,,it came up nicely in spring,,,and now it looks like this,,,the stems are not brittle,,,YET

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

thanks for looking,,,
jill

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 21:39

Sorry to hear about your tree. Perhaps too much water?
They like very well drained soils.

To my disbelief the color on mine is still quite good on July 1st. Even with the abnormal scorching heat and lack of rain. Of course I've given it a deep watering 1x a week. Planted last spring.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here