Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Half of my tree is dying

Posted by forereal 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 08 at 21:19

Hopefully someone can help me out with my tree. Just moved into a house with some type of fruit tree in the backyard. The main trunk is about 2 feet tall, then it splits into two.

Now one side of the tree looks healthy and is now starting to flower. But the other side looks totally dead. The bark is splitting and looks dry and there is no type of flowering/green at all. Branches are very dry and can easily be snapped off.

Is there anything I can do to save this side of the tree? How is it that the trunk and one side of the tree is perfectly healthy and the other side is totally dead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Half of my tree is dying

You can't save the dying side and only time will tell if what affected it will claim the other side as well.

Trees do lose limbs from time to time, sometimes small limbs, and sometimes big ones. Unless there is an obvious disease/infestation or wound, you don't always know what the issue was. In some cases, it might be drought or root disturbance that caused the tree to decide it could not support all of its branches.

o

Yep. That part's dead and should be cut off. Just be sure to not tear the bark of the good part when removing the dead portion. Cutting most of it off first, and then making a nice clean cut when removing remaining stub is the ticket.

+oM

o

Look up Verticillium Wilt, what your tree is exhibiting is a symptom of that, although many other things could also cause the symptoms you are describing. Is there sapwood discoloration?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here