Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
amur maple

Posted by krycek1984 6a/Cleveland (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 21:34

So, I have an Amur Maple in my tree lawn (the area between the street and the sidewalk). I am trying to figure out what to do. I have had it for a few years now, it has grown but not a ton.

Anyway, it has three stems. I don't know if I should just try to train it to be a 3 stemmed tree and make sure it doesn't turn into a bush, or rip it out and put a Sugar Tyme crabapple in its place.

The obvious concern is that the crown will not be high enough to allow street traffic through without brushing against the amur maple (it is a side street so not a ton of traffic).

There is a power line so larger trees won't work, and I have had bad experiences with redbuds (at least around here).

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: amur maple

First thing Kry-is this your jurisdiction? If there's a city forestry dept. they would both have the say-so in this and be the ones to do any work needed.

Having asked that, the city forestry dept. that I happen to work with planted some Amur maples under wires-not my idea-and they are, just as you say, ill-suited to this purpose, crowning out too low and being hard to confine to a single leader.

After the first question is answered and it's determined that you have the go-ahead to do as you please, and without a picture to guide my answer, I'd say why not maintain it as best you can, using a combination of judicious pruning and judicious not-pruning ;^) all the while, putting your efforts elsewhere in your yard?

Or. give us more info, maybe a picture, to help us decide what course of action to take. There are, of course, numerous other smallish trees that could occupy that spot, if that is the direction you wish to take.

+oM

o
RE: amur maple

I have a fairly old Acer ginnala in a wild area on the back property line - about 30 or 40 years old. Probably self-seeded but maybe planted by previous owner. It is only about 15-20 feet tall and growing naturally in a multi-trunk form.

The Amur has nice flowers and great fall color, but I regard it with caution because it's a non-native and has been noted to be weedy in WI and potentially invasive in CT. I have noticed it seeds around here and there in the yard, but nothing terrible as yet.

I love Crabapples myself (also a little weedy :). Is it possible to have both, try to train the Amur and plant a Crab somewhere too?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here