Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
River Birch Question

Posted by farmersteve N. AL Zone 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 22:45

I have two river birch trees in my yard. I noticed today that they were both dripping (weeping, bleeding, not sure what you would call it) a clear liquid. I have been living here for 4 seasons now and the trees have been here since we moved in but I have never noticed this before.

The weather has been unseasonably warm for the past week or so, and about 80 today. After examining both of the trees closely, I noticed that they were both dripping quite a lot. One of them had a wood pecker working the trunk and branches over a good ways up.

Is there any cause for concern? Is this normal. Any suggestions on the cause would be appreciated.

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: River Birch Question

Birches' and maples' sap runs in the spring. Open wounds leak the sap. Your woodpecker is probably the cause. But I wouldn't worry that your trees are fatally damaged. Soon the sap will stop running.

o

Interesting! We noticed that too today. The River Birch overhangs a sidewalk and I guess its easy pickings for passersby who like to pull at the low hanging branches. It almost looked like it had rained recently or smthg...because the sap was hanging from several branches.

o

If a woodpecker is bothering your tree, it's probably trying to get bugs inside the trunk. Not a good thing.

o

Just a warning: we lost two trunks of a beautiful triple-trunked river birch clump to yellow-bellied sapsuckers at our old house (diagnosed by the folks at our local ag station when I took in a chunk from the point at which the trunk broke off -- they immediately identified the traces of a circular "ring" of bore holes around the trunk at the point at which it broke off). You might look carefully for actual bore holes, and try to ascertain what's going on. We were told that once the sapsuckers "found" our trees, they would continue coming back to our particular trees each year, so you'd want to take preventive measures, whatever those might be. We bought ours ("Heritage") because we thought it was less prone to borers than other birches. But I assume those sapsuckers were after something...?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sapsucker holes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here