Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help Please- Need Tree Recommendations

Posted by davidfranco California (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 22:58

Please let me know which trees would be best to plant along a 40 foot wide section of fencing. I need trees that will provide PRIVACY from my neighbors 2nd story windows and provide shade. I appreciate everyone's help here.
Thank you all very much.
David

Soil type on property: Clay - Drains very poorly
Root type preference - No knees and concrete friendly
Flowering Trees would be great

Thanks again!

Thanks again

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help Please- Need Tree Recommendations

Normally would recommend Arizona Cypress for screening in California, but they typically need well-draining soil. Perhaps a California Redwood would be your best bet for screening. There should be some native pines that would also be worth considering.
Let us know where you are at. Good luck with your project.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 0:24

What part of California?

o

Thank you scotjute and bboy for helping much appreciated.

I live in Madera, California, summers are HOT! Triple digits (100-112) June thru August. Winters are cold with temps dropping down in the low 30's.
My backyard faces East so I get Sunshine all day long. That section in the picture gets sun exposure for the greater part of the day. There are no other trees planted within 800 feet with exception to the the 80 acres of almond trees just planted last week directly behind my house.
I do not prefer pine trees nor any trees that have any type of sticky fruit droppings or sap like substances as I plan on having a BBQ island and seating in the very near vicinity.
I hope this information helps. I will check back in tomorrow.

Thanks again !! :)

o

PATMORE ASH
TUPELO
MAJESTIC TULIP TREE
RED MAPLE
GREEN ASH

o

Again, SelecTree is the resource you need. For example, tupelo has a good chance of not working there.

o

Thank you WxDano, I will check out the link you provided.

Selections were provided via Monrovia website based on criteria entered for my location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here